Home Open Account Help 260 users online

Canadian Railroads > Not Your Usual 113

Date: 08/11/20 13:17
Not Your Usual 113
Author: Blackfoot

I went out to Yonge Street this morning hoping Toronto-Buffalo train 246 would have something interesting, but it was just a pair of GE's, nothing to get excited over.  Before heading back home I checked the ATCS Monitor and saw another westbound at Don Mills, cleared onto the MacTier Sub.  I'm not a big fan of GE's and look-alike stack trains but I figured I'm here, and 113 is on it's way, so I might as well stick around and watch it go by.  Turned out that was a good idea because I saw something I haven't seen in years.  Trailing the pair of GE's was one hopper and seven flat cars of rails, and then eleven cars of domestic TOFC.  Other than the long gone Xpressway, I can't remember the last time I saw TOFC traffic on a Canadian railroad.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/20 13:21 by Blackfoot.

Date: 08/12/20 05:51
Re: Not Your Usual 113
Author: JPB

Interesting photos! The TOFC looks to actually be Container on chassis (v. conventional semi trailer) on spine car, which NS employs a fair amount on its container trains, too. I wonder if Container on chassis is a premium service (a la TOFC) v. single stacked or double stacked container?

Date: 08/12/20 08:01
Author: kayakermark

A very interesting catch. While the TOFC is a rare find, were you able to get a picture of the rail on flatcars that you could post.  Also not often to see rail on flatcars that are not in 78' lengths on CP's rail service fleet. Thanks,

Date: 08/12/20 09:22

JPB Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting photos! The TOFC looks to actually be
> Container on chassis (v. conventional semi
> trailer) on spine car, which NS employs a fair
> amount on its container trains, too. I wonder if
> Container on chassis is a premium service (a la
> TOFC) v. single stacked or double stacked
> container?

You'd be correct on that one JPB, they were containers on chassis, and they were on spine cars - my aging old brain just thinks of anything with rubber tires as TOFC.

Cheers,
Dwayne

Date: 08/12/20 09:28

kayakermark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A very interesting catch. While the TOFC is a rare
> find, were you able to get a picture of the rail
> on flatcars that you could post.  Also not often
> to see rail on flatcars that are not in 78'
> lengths on CP's rail service fleet. Thanks,

Sorry, but I didn't get any pictures of the flats with rails.  I was getting ready to take one, but I got distracted when I saw what was following.

Cheers,
Dwayne

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds