Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Canadian Railroads > Way Back Wednesday

Date: 08/12/20 02:57
Way Back Wednesday
Author: hoggerdoug

October 1970 and another outing to Canfield Junction on the CASO in southern Ontario. It was another gloomy autumn day, we were there about 8 hours and saw 9 trains including C&O, CN, N&W and PC.
Images of a C&O westbound with a GP30, GP9 & GP35 approaching the diamond and as the caboose was on the diamond, Penn Central symbol train TV16 was on the diamond, locos were a U25B and a C430
It was a tough day for my Kodak Instamatic and these images have been "sharpened" several times, perhaps too much.
Thanks for looking.
Doug

Date: 08/12/20 04:29
Re: Way Back Wednesday
Author: ghCBNS

Thanks for posting!

Several years ago I walked into Canfield Jct along the old right-of-way from the Highway #3 crossing and tried to envision what I might have seen 50 years earlier.....and that would have included Penn Central E8s with passenger trains flying across southern Ontario. I did get to pass through Canfield on Amtrak's Empire State Express in the mid '70s.

https://goo.gl/maps/6uxRQ4yBdnFbjZPi6

Date: 08/12/20 05:11
Author: hoggerdoug

Another from the past, St. Thomas, Ontario, October 1978. I've forgotten the train number / name, perhaps #64 the Rainbow. Anyhow, the tracks are all gone, fortunately the station and BX tower have been preserved.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/20 05:11 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 08/12/20 05:33
Author: ghCBNS

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another from the past, St. Thomas, Ontario,
> October 1978. I've forgotten the train number /
> name, perhaps #64 the Rainbow.

Started out around 1975 as the Empire State Express....an extension of the New York-Buffalo train to Detroit. By 1978 it had been renamed the Niagara Rainbow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds