Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Canadian Railroads > Way Back Wednesday

Date: 09/09/20 04:47
Way Back Wednesday
Author: hoggerdoug

A rainy day in North Vancouver BC, November 1972. BCOL 1004 idles near the station. It was former Columbia & Cowlitz # D-1. From the info I can find BC Rail purchased this Fairbanks-Morse H10-44 sometime in 1971 for parts but discovered it was in running condition so put it to work. Eventually it was sold for scrap in 1975. This is the only image I have and the only time I saw this unit.

On the day I took this picture I was on vacation in BC from Ontario visiting my sister on Vancouver Island. Also the day I took this picture I had had and interview with a BC Rail manager in North Vancouver regarding my job application as Trainman on BC Rail. The interview went well, given a "B" book to complete and would hear from them in the near future. About two months later I received a letter confirming my employment with BCR as soon as I could get to BC. I was granted a "leave of absence" from the TH&B Rly were I worked in Hamilton, bought a car and drove from southern Ontario to BC early in February 1973. My new BC Rail seniority date was February 17, 1973. It's all ancient history now.
Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/20 04:48 by hoggerdoug.

Date: 09/09/20 06:55
Re: Way Back Wednesday
Author: Railroad39

Doug:

What made you decide to leave the TH&B and work for BCR?

Date: 09/09/20 07:16
Author: hoggerdoug

I really don't know why. "Go west young man" adventure or maybe I was running away from home....
Doug

Railroad39 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doug:
>
> What made you decide to leave the TH&B and work
> for BCR?

Date: 09/09/20 10:53
Author: eminence_grise

In the early 1970's, there was lots of railway work available in BC and Alberta. That was not the case in many parts of eastern and atlantic Canada.

Chrysler Canada did a big cutback in auto production in Windsor ON, and CP gained a lot of workers who thought they had a job for life building cars. 

Date: 09/09/20 11:29
Author: refarkas

You caught her in use. Great photo.
Bob

Date: 09/11/20 16:20
Author: feclark

Nice post; nice lines on the F-M.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds