Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Canadian Railroads > Bras d'Or Wednesday

Date: 09/16/20 14:58
Bras d'Or Wednesday
Author: cn6218

Wednesday was the return trip from Sydney to Halifax of the Bras d'Or.  From October 11, 2000 (the train's first season) here are a couple shots at Monastery, and then Sylvan Valley, just west of Antigonish.  October was "prime time" for this ride because of the fall colours, although the 11 hour trip started and ended in near darkness because of the short days.  

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/20 16:45 by cn6218.

Date: 09/16/20 16:51
Re: Bras d'Or Wednesday
Author: refarkas

Two beautiful scenic photos.
Bob

Date: 09/17/20 17:53
Author: BigSkyBlue

Beautiful pictures.  Still kicking myself that I didn't ride it.  BSB

Date: 09/27/20 10:46
Author: SD45X

How do you pronounce it?

Date: 09/27/20 13:53
Author: ghCBNS

SD45X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you pronounce it?

Bra-Door.

Translates to 'Arm of Gold' in French and named for the Bras d'Or Lake the train followed in Cape Breton.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/20 13:55 by ghCBNS.

Date: 09/27/20 15:56
Author: jp1822

The Bras d'Or train of the 2000's took 11 hours to go from Halifax to Sydney (no stops per say, ran "express" shall we say from Halifax to Sydney), while the Railiners and Scotian did the same journey in roughly 8 hours with stops along the way for loadings and unloadings etc. Even within 10 years the track had quickly been downgraded, and  I am sure passing sidings removed. Recall that the Maritime RDC massacre happened in 1990, along with the reduction of service on the Canadian and moving it to the northernly mostly all CN route etc. etc. The Maritimes were left with just two tri-weekly trains (same end points, different intermediate points over part of the route):

1) The Atlantic (Montreal to Halifax)
2) The Ocean (Montreal to Halifax)

*all the branch line Railiner service discontinued......

The Bras d'Or train was introduced and operated as a tourist train. VIA had made the convincing argument that improved road service and a limited population (many people making an exodus out of the Maritimes in the 1990s) was making train service - even via the Railiners (RDC's) less popular. Hence they were discontinued! 

I too missed a trip on the Bras d'Or. Had hoped to take it the following season when VIA was looking to operate it on Tuesdays and Fridays. But VIA couldn't make it happen with the freight RR north of Port Hawkesbury and on into Sydney.........                                                    

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds