Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Canadian Railroads > CPR Historic Pictures

Date: 09/27/20 14:00
CPR Historic Pictures
Author: CNStratford

Covid and self-isolation have stopped all my other activities.  This hiatus has given me time to go through tons of old files.  In one I found this postcard.
It is copyrighted by Byron Harmon Banff.  This photographer's work is now in the care of The Whyte Museum For The Canadian Rockies - https://www.whyte.org/
If you are a fan of the CPR in the Rockies, it is really worthwhile looking at their site which had the second amazing photo among others.

Date: 09/29/20 15:22
Re: CPR Historic Pictures
Author: eminence_grise

The second image shows the loop on the original Rogers Pass grade. There were two two trestles over Loop Brook, this is the downstream of the two. The line then crossed the Illecillewaet river  before rejoining the current Connaught track. The upper side of the loop is visible. There was a siding there called Cambie.The Loop is fully accessible around a National Parks campground, Originally these were wooden trestles, replaced by steel spans on stone piers.

Byron Harmon was a prolific photographer of mountain scenes. I think he made a living selling his images to early day tourists in Banff. His images also included the other mountain parks in Canada.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0255 seconds