Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Overpass in Shubenacadie

Date: 10/05/20 04:53
The Overpass in Shubenacadie
Author: cn6218

The overpass where Rt. 224 crosses over the CN track in Shubenacadie, NS has long been an easy spot to see trains on the Bedford Sub.  The light is best from about 11:00 onward, but lasts right until the end of the day.  This was once the main road between Halifax and Truro, but today it's merely tertiary, and only sees local traffic, so it's not too intimidating the share the bridge with passing cars.  With the mile 44 detector about 4 miles to the (railway) west, it also has plenty of warning for eastbound trains.  The only downside, like so many other places, is that the vegetation has been growing unabated for too many years.  Here are a few images taken over the years.

1. April 11, 2001.  CN train 136 is hustling towards Halifax, and the only thing blocking the train if I tried to go broader would be the pole line.

2. It's leap day, 2004, and a late running 148 is passing the same spot, but this time viewed from the south side of the track.

3. September 6, 2020, about 12:45, and 120 is cutting a swath through the tree tunnel, forcing me to be almost overhead.  The red barn which has appeared in the background makes things a bit more interesting, although the horses that would sometimes be grazing in the field seemed to have moved on.

GTD

Date: 10/05/20 05:15
Re: The Overpass in Shubenacadie
Author: refarkas

You chose a great scenic location.
Bob

Date: 10/05/20 08:38
Author: TCnR

Great location, interesting comparison with the tree tunnel and the background buildings, the distant silos changed as well. But who painted the tie white at the just the right spot?
t4p.

Date: 10/05/20 10:03
Author: PHall

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great location, interesting comparison with the
> tree tunnel and the background buildings, the
> distant silos changed as well. But who painted the
> tie white at the just the right spot?
> t4p.

If you look at the first picture you can see the same tie except it's painted boxcar red.
Right in line with the pole.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/20 10:04 by PHall.

Date: 10/05/20 15:49
Author: feclark

That's a nice time-lapse series. It's a bit odd, but I've just been having a conversation with another TO member about the need for an "adopt-a-mile" program that would see someone clear the veggies at particular locations. The advance of trees is amazing, really. When you look at some of these, you wonder how did they ever get as clear as they were, and if it was for farming, surely trees should have started their comeback a long time ago. What's different about the last 15-20 years?
Fred

Date: 10/05/20 18:11
Author: PHall

Green is good today, that's what changed.

Date: 10/06/20 12:30
Author: cn6218

In the old days (pre 1960) I suppose the cinders from steam engines kept the vegetation at bay.  There was a time when the right of way was practically kept mowed.  The fences on either side through the farm country here are still visible, but there seems to be more growth within them than without, unlike pictures from 80 or 90 years ago.

At one time the alders would be cut back to protect the pole line, but it's hopelessly overgrown now. The pole line doesn't seem to be functional, so I'm hoping they cut a wide swath when it's removed, like they did between Bedford and Windsor Jct. recently.  Sadly, even that's growing up quickly too, and it hasn't even been a year.  They do seem to keep things under control at level crossings, but I like to try and find elevation for at least some of my shots.

I've given some thought to "adopt-a-right-of-way", but I'm sure the CN Police have other ideas about that.

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TCnR Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Great location, interesting comparison with the
> > tree tunnel and the background buildings, the
> > distant silos changed as well. But who painted
> the
> > tie white at the just the right spot?
> > t4p.
>
> If you look at the first picture you can see the
> same tie except it's painted boxcar red.
> Right in line with the pole.

The paint on the tie indicates that there is a culvert under the track right there.  They used to be painted orange.  The white paint has showed up in just the last year or so.  I guess if the culvert is plugged and ditches are full of water, this shows the section crew where to start digging.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/20 16:09 by cn6218.

Date: 10/06/20 23:02
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE series!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.043 seconds