Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Ocean Meets 136 at Southwestern Jct.

Date: 10/07/20 05:31
The Ocean Meets 136 at Southwestern Jct.
Author: cn6218

After dropping cars in Rockingham, 136 is on its way downtown to Ocean Terminals with the rest of the train on September 17, 2002.  But first they'll have to wait for the Ocean to clear the HOT-ROCK connecting track.  This little interlocking was controlled by the Yardmaster at Rockingham.  Trains would call for verbal permission, the YM would line the switch as needed, and then light them up.  Curiously, a train would get a yellow light to proceed, which on a dwarf signal would normally mean "restricting", but in this case it just meant the switch was lined for that direction.  

More recently, the power switch and lights were removed, along with those at Fairview Jct., and OCS was extended from mile 5 to 1.8, making the HOT-ROCK main line again and giving control to the RTC.

GTD

Date: 10/07/20 07:46
Re: The Ocean Meets 136 at Southwestern Jct.
Author: 3rdswitch

Good shot.
JB

Date: 10/07/20 07:49
Author: eminence_grise

Is Southwestern Junction the location where the Hailfax and Southwestern Railway, a Canadian Northern subsidiary, joined the Intercolonial Railway?.

When was the Intercolonial taken over by Canadian Government Railways ?

Date: 10/07/20 14:37
Author: cn6218

eminence_grise Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is Southwestern Junction the location where the
> Hailfax and Southwestern Railway, a Canadian
> Northern subsidiary, joined the Intercolonial
> Railway?.

Yes, the connection was up the hill on the left (behind the crewman from 136 giving 15 the roll-by) in this picture.  BTW, I think the proper name of the railway was "Halifax and South Western", but the junction was "Southwestern".

>
> When was the Intercolonial taken over by Canadian
> Government Railways ?

I believe the takeover was sometime during WW I.  I'm basing that on photographs taken in the aftermath of the Halifax Explosion (December , 1917) that show Canadian Gov't Rwy, rolling stock.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds