Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Canadian Railroads > Today's Hudson Bay

Date: 10/11/20 16:06
Today's Hudson Bay
Author: Magellan13

Today's VIA Train 693 - the Hudson Bay from Winnipeg to Churchill, has a sleeper now!

I was just passing it on the highway as it was departing Winnipeg, but it had the following:

VIA F40
VIA F40
Baggage Car
Coach
Coach
Skyline Dome
Sleeper (VIA 8224 - "Chateau Roberval")

Magellan

Date: 10/11/20 17:36
Re: Today's Hudson Bay
Author: dan

that is good sometimes it runs reallly late from looking at the train tracker

Date: 10/11/20 19:34
Author: gaspeamtrak

Sorry to rain on your parade but I think the sleeper has been running on this train for the on board crew "only"
Thanks for  sharing the consist ! ... :):):)

Date: 10/11/20 21:18
Author: Magellan13

Yes, it must be for crew only, as the discussion on this site just a couple weeks ago suggested that VIA is not offering sleeping car accommodaitons yet.  Last time I saw this train it was sporting a Park-class dome car on the end, which I presume held the crew accommodations.  That has been replaced by a Skyline Dome car and a Chateau Sleeper - it is the first time that I recall seeing it like that.

Magellan 

Date: 10/11/20 21:55
Author: WP17

Yes the sleeper is for crew only. Now what I do find interesting is that there are two coaches. when I rode a year ago, there was only one coach.

WP17

Date: 10/11/20 22:00
Author: dan

perhaps to distance?

Date: 10/12/20 03:53
Author: andersonb109

Sleeper loads seem to be holding up on Amtrak much better than coach. One would have their own room (excepting for the sections). So that is the best distencing available. 

Date: 10/12/20 05:33
Author: DrawingroomA

Regarding the second coach, I have heard  from VIA employees in Winnipeg  that is for unreserved passengers, such as those who might board at a flag stop. On VIA's status page there is no tentative date for the resumption of sleeping car service.

Manitoba has travel restrictions.

https://www.gov.mb.ca/covid19/protection/soe.html

https://www.mltaikins.com/covid-19/reinstated-travel-restrictions-to-northern-manitoba-and-remote-communities-effective-september-4/

Date: 10/12/20 12:44
Author: viatrainrider

Yes, David, believe you to be correct.   Second coachvoften used for the more through passengers, the other for Thicket Portage - Thompson and Thompson - Pik loals.  Sleeper crew only and Skyline dome not available to passengers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0323 seconds