Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Canadian Railroads > Waiting for the Ocean in Truro, NS

Date: 11/04/20 04:39
Waiting for the Ocean in Truro, NS
Author: cn6218

On December 28, 2009 I was in Truro, NS, waiting for VIA's Ocean to make its appearance.  It was the holiday travel season, and once again, VIA had added some extra trains to keep up with demand.

But No. 614 was running late.  As I waited at the station, 515, the Truro local came up on the yard lead, called the RTC, and got permission to go out on the main to go to Brookfield, 8 miles east on the Bedford Sub.  Even though the baggage carts were already out on the platform, it seemed that the Ocean was still more than an hour away.

With some time to kill, I followed 515 to Brookfield, where they entered the Canada Cement Spur, which runs a few miles to a cement plant at Shortts Lake.  The spur is rule 105 territory, and the few crossing are only protected with crossbucks.  The crew would run around their train near the end of the spur and then spot the covered hoppers, while the lumber loads would be spotted at MarWood, back near the main line in Brookfield.

After 515 had been duly recorded, I headed back to Truro, but the sun was sinking fast.  A shot of the front of the train, with glaring headlights was out of the question, but Revelstoke Park looked just fine as the Ocean rolled down the hill towards Truro at 16:34 in the gathering dusk.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/20 04:44 by cn6218.

Date: 11/04/20 04:45
Re: Waiting for the Ocean in Truro, NS
Author: Slumbercoach

That was worth the wait.  Revelstoke Park was the Park car on the Canadian that I rode in 2006.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/20 04:46 by Slumbercoach.

Date: 11/04/20 08:39
Author: gaspeamtrak

That is a "great" shot ! The only thing missing is the snow !!! ???

Date: 11/04/20 13:15
Author: feclark

Love the local, and the depth of field (or, I guess, the lack of depth of field) on the Park car shot is really arresting.
Fred

Date: 11/04/20 16:49
Author: cn6218

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the local, and the depth of field (or, I
> guess, the lack of depth of field) on the Park car
> shot is really arresting.

That was shot with a 300/f4 lens wide open, not so much for artistic effect but because it was getting really dark by then!  To tell the truth, I got lucky with the focus.

GTD

Date: 11/14/20 00:01
Author: SD45X

Love that last one:)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds