Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Canadian Railroads > Foggy Friday - CN Gorillas in the Mist Near Hinton

Date: 11/20/20 15:36
Foggy Friday - CN Gorillas in the Mist Near Hinton
Author: feclark

This shot is from July 30, 2013, the third day of a swing from Edmonton out to the various junctions between the Albreda, Robson, and Tete Jaune Subs on Day 1, Redpass on Day 2, then home on Day 3. The day before, it had absolutely hammered down rain as we arrived in Jasper for our overnight in the Jeep, but we woke up to perfectly clear skies, and were pretty excited at the shots we would get on the trestle over Maskuta Creek, feeding the Athabasca River between Hinton and Entrance. We'd scouted the location on the way up. What we were dismayed to find, upon our approach, was that all the previous evening's rain was now evaporating into a heavy fog that took a few hours to clear. With T-Max 100 in the Pentax, I shot stack train #198 at 0816, behind 2527 and 8879, 1/250 at f2.8. This was post-K64, and I didn't have a DSLR yet, so I didn't mind the weather.
Fred

Date: 11/20/20 15:58
Re: Foggy Friday - CN Gorillas in the Mist Near Hinton
Author: cvrrr

Very nice shot

cvrrr

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/20/20 18:31
Author: refarkas

Well done.
Bob

Date: 11/21/20 05:59
Author: robj

Nice thing with fog is cool the way the train fades, problem with fog of course can be too much of a good thing.

Bob

Date: 11/21/20 10:03
Author: cn6218

You certainly made the best of the situation.  It helps when you can get some height (like this) to minimize the amount of foggy sky in the frame.

GTD

Date: 11/21/20 11:21
Author: feclark

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You certainly made the best of the situation.  It
> helps when you can get some height (like this) to
> minimize the amount of foggy sky in the frame.
>
> GTD

The dark lattice work of the bents anchored things visually as well as structurally, for sure. As much as this shot and a few others in fog or cloud worked out on this trip, what I gave up when the sun was out was what tipped me to deciding to get a DSLR. Mind you, that was almost two more years until finances aligned.
Fred

Date: 11/22/20 17:14
Author: ns1000

Cool pic!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0343 seconds