Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Canadian Railroads > CP B unit on a freight

Date: 11/28/20 06:41
CP B unit on a freight
Author: briancdn

While it was common in the late 60's and early 70's to see B units on freights on CP, especially MLW FB's, I didn't get too many by the time I had started railfanning in the mid 70's. 

In 1979, the always power short CP started using a pair of F7B's out of Montreal. This was the only year I managed to get a couple of B units in a freight consist.

Here are two trains at lachine in 1979 with B units in the consist. These were the only shots I managed to get. Typical consists back in the day, what a wonderful time to railfan!

Brian N.

Date: 11/28/20 11:09
Re: CP B unit on a freight
Author: feclark

They borrowed them back from VIA service, it appears, two of the five [1961-1965?] that got numbered into the 1900 series from 4400s (without looking them up, many or most of those were renumbered from 1900s to 4400s earlier on). The first shot is rather neat; how often would you complain about seeing a B unit, except it "spoils" a C-424 trio.
Fred

Date: 11/28/20 13:53
Author: CCMF

In that era CP used to take VIA power from Toronto to Montreal for service.  Bizarre, but happened a lot.  I have a slide of VIA 1410 leading overnight container train 928 !

I suspect this is the case seen here as it is a passenger F9B not a freight F7B.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 11/28/20 15:52
Author: briancdn

CCMF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In that era CP used to take VIA power from Toronto
> to Montreal for service.  Bizarre, but happened a
> lot.  I have a slide of VIA 1410 leading
> overnight container train 928 !
>
> I suspect this is the case seen here as it is a
> passenger F9B not a freight F7B.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info. I don't think this practice lasted very long, but I'm glad I got a coupe of shots of them in freight service!
Brian N.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1261 seconds