Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Canadian Railroads > SRS Sunday

Date: 01/10/21 07:41
SRS Sunday
Author: hoggerdoug

Sperry Car 129 at Williams Lake, BC.  August 1986.
Doug

Date: 01/10/21 17:56
Re: SRS Sunday
Author: tq-07fan

Wow! That looks like it had just been repainted. That livery with the racing stripe started out sometime in the 1980's so it's quite likely.

Jim

Date: 01/10/21 22:06
Author: roustabout

Do you know whether that went up the Takla line, Doug?

Date: 01/11/21 05:08
Author: hoggerdoug

Really don't know if it did testing on the Takla sub.  Anything is possible.
Doug
roustabout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you know whether that went up the Takla line,
> Doug?

Date: 01/11/21 06:48
Author: Lackawanna484

Nice looking car.

Are Sperry cars operating in Canada restricted to Canadian use on!y? Or do they cross back and forth?

Thanks

Posted from Android

Date: 01/11/21 19:04
Author: tq-07fan

Sperry would rotate cars in and out of Canada but generally the cars in Canada stayed in Canada. I got to go across the border from Portal North Dakota to North Portal Saskatchewan on SRS 144. CP Rail had to take us to the Canadian Customs office. We had to fill out import / export papers for the Sperry car. The Chief Operator and the other two guy had their Work Permits for Canada but I had to get my Work Permit at that same time. CP Rail drove us back to the Sperry car on the US side then they got us permission to run the Sperry across the border into Canada. At Portal / North Portal I think the border was in Yard Limits or Cautionary Limits anyways. After crossing the Canadian Customs agent had to come over and thoroughly inspect the Sperry car. It took an hour or two at least from the start of the that Morning to getting a Pilot to go toward Moose Jaw on the Estevan Sub. One peculiar thing about going into Canada is the rails are canted at a slightly different angle then in the United States so once across we had to make adjustments to the test equipment to compensate for that.

Jim

Date: 01/11/21 20:13
Author: rrcaboose

And inside the cars were signs posted NO GUNS ALLOWED...at least on the SRS cars used in NJ and NY states that I worked on as pilot/conductor.
There was also a very loud collision alarm bell !

rrcaboose

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds