Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Canadian Railroads > three from 2005

Date: 02/11/21 12:34
three from 2005
Author: hoggerdoug

February 9, 2005 we ran out of time and waited for a relief crew south of Soda Creek on the BC Rail Prince George sub. Bit of a wait for the taxi and new crew, it had been a long night on the road so I got out of the cab for some fresh air and to get away from the cranky Conductor. Those "big blue" Dash 9's were my favorite units.
If I recall, this particular winter had been relatively snow free. Looking at the weather for the area today, there is lots of snow on the ground and a "severe cold" weather advisory for the next few days, temps in the mid MINUS 30's as well as nasty wind chill.  Glad I'm retired and in a milder climate area of the country.
Sorry if the images are re-posts.
Doug

Date: 02/11/21 20:10
Re: three from 2005
Author: feclark

What made them your favourite units? Just curious to get a hogger's perspective, thanks.
Fred

Date: 02/12/21 01:55
Author: hoggerdoug

I liked the style lines of the loco as well as the paint scheme, never did care for the red/white/blue paint. Also the cabs were comfortable and reasonably quiet. Another factor was perhaps they were the newest units on the property. When the SD40's arrived everybody wanted one leading rather than a tired old MLW. When the GE Dash 8's arrived we all wanted them leading rather than a noisy vibrating SD 40.
Doug

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What made them your favourite units? Just curious
> to get a hogger's perspective, thanks.
> Fred

Date: 02/12/21 10:32
Author: feclark

Thanks, Doug; newer is nicer, I guess, plus it has that "new locomotive smell." A friend of mine managed to get a cab ride on the Alberta Railnet in the older GEs, and he said afterward he got this enormour headache from sniffing fumes the whole trip. I guess that was "old locomotive smell."
Fred

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I liked the style lines of the loco as well as the
> paint scheme, never did care for the
> red/white/blue paint. Also the cabs were
> comfortable and reasonably quiet. Another factor
> was perhaps they were the newest units on the
> property. When the SD40's arrived everybody wanted
> one leading rather than a tired old MLW. When the
> GE Dash 8's arrived we all wanted them leading
> rather than a noisy vibrating SD 40.
> Doug
>
> feclark Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What made them your favourite units? Just
> curious
> > to get a hogger's perspective, thanks.
> > Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds