Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > Thirty Thursday - CP 5000 on Walkley Wye Primed to Lose 5 Inches

Date: 02/18/21 10:56
Thirty Thursday - CP 5000 on Walkley Wye Primed to Lose 5 Inches
Author: feclark

On Monday I posted CP S-2 7093 being turned on the wye at Ottawa's Walkley Yard. In digging up that photo, I found others on the wye, and thought this would be interesting. As mentioned in the earlier post, CP's wayfreight from Montreal via the north shore, #85, would have its power turned at some point during the afternoon to ready it for the evening's return as #86. I'd shot #85 arriving on September 24, 1977, and because it had GP30 5000 on the point (along with RS-18 8745), I wandered down the north access road to see what shots of the Geep I could get from the parking area. My timing was lucky, and I shot the power going up the east leg of the wye, then its trip down the west leg. Unfortunately a cloud bit me at the time. The paint on 5000 has a story; at this time, CP was making the transition from 5" to 8" stripes in the Multimark image. For some reason, they moved some [all?] of this repainting to Ogden in Calgary, rather than Angus shops in Montreal. But some units did get bodywork and patch primer painting done in the east before eventually going west to lose the 5" stripes. Of course, when Angus started turning out the RS-18u rebuilds, they were painted there. Anyone know the story?
Fred

Date: 02/18/21 11:37
Re: Thirty Thursday - CP 5000 on Walkley Wye Primed to Lose 5 Inc
Author: refarkas

Rare catch. Imagine a prototype modeler painting a model including all those rusty spots.
Bob

Date: 02/18/21 16:11
Author: briancdn

Great catch! I never did get a good photo of the 5000 in action.
Brian N.

Date: 02/18/21 16:31
Author: feclark

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Rare catch. Imagine a prototype modeler painting a
> model including all those rusty spots.
> Bob

It'll never happen! Ideally I guess they aren't rusty spots by this point. If I dig them up, I'll scan and post a few more such units. Sometimes a mix of oxide and grey primers on the same locomotive, too.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds