Home Open Account Help 270 users online

Canadian Railroads > West Coast Switcher

Date: 02/23/21 07:01
West Coast Switcher
Author: cn6218

CN seems to be in the habit of grabbing a 6-motor unit off 120 for a few days to run transfers and switch Halifax Ocean Terminals.  Even a pair of GP38s or 40s can have trouble hauling a couple strings of double-stacks off the piers, while a road unit can do the job with ease.  But for the second time this year, someone decided a cowl would be a good choice for this task.  On February 17, I caught BCOL 4611 as the power for local 517, switching at HOT.  In the first two photos, 4611 poses with the Halifax grain elevators in the background, and then the P&H Milling flour mill, as they shoved some empties onto the PSA pier.  In the third, 4611 is in the Halifax cut, heading back to Rockingham with loaded well cars to leave on that night's 121.

Unlike a few weeks ago, when 2454 was on this job for a few days, the crew didn't have any temporary ditch lights for the rear of the unit.  Fortunately there is only one public crossing between Rockingham and HOT, the one shown in the photos, and the conductor always protects it anyway.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/21 07:05 by cn6218.

Date: 02/23/21 07:33
Re: West Coast Switcher
Author: M630

Interesting power assignment. Looks like the P&H facility in one of the photos is relatively new or refurbished. Is it rail served and if so how frequently?

Date: 02/23/21 09:29
Author: cn6218

P&H used to be Dover Flour, until about 10 years ago.  I'm not sure exactly how long it has been there, but they used to send covered hopper loads of flour to a bakery in Berwick, on the DAR, so it's got to be since at least the '80s.

The boxcar never moves.  It's on a disconnected piece of track, and is just used for storage, I think.  Covered hoppers of grain are unloaded on the other side of the complex.

GTD

Date: 02/23/21 10:01
Author: briancdn

Love the second shot, nicely composed. Those cowls are on their last legs I'm sure.

Brian N.

Date: 02/23/21 11:18
Author: feclark

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Love the second shot, nicely composed. Those cowls
> are on their last legs I'm sure.
>
> Brian N.

Completely agree! The colours of the containers really work with the loco and well car.
Fred

Date: 02/26/21 18:25
Author: AndyBrown

Excellent views!  You probably get tired of hearing me say it, but I always enjoy seeing your Halifax stuff.

Andy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds