Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Canadian Railroads > For feclark; 35 Years Later

Date: 02/28/21 21:23
For feclark; 35 Years Later
Author: moonliter

I loved Fred’s  ”Thirty Thursday” post of last week.  It was not just the story or the subject but also the location.  For fifty years I have been shooting trains in Ottawa I have never shot at that location.  I have been on Heron Road looking down on the spot, I have ridden over the spot by steam, RDC, conventional train, on Bombardier Talents and Alstom Coradia Lint trains but never took a photo there. I thought to myself I must take a photo and post it for Fred; see if he notices any differences that may have taken place in the past 35 years. 

The stars of Fred’s post (3100-3101) are still around however the co-star 4235 was scrapped in 2010.   The line is no longer CP’s but was sold to the City of Ottawa (OC Transpo) in 2001 and operates as the Capital Railway, Canada’s only metric railway.  At this location OC Transpo built a platform which became a stop on the newly created O-Train project.   This stop called Confederation was at Kilometer 2.88 Elwood sub.  In 2019 “Confederation” was renamed “Mooney’s Bay.  The O-Train line as we locals call it has now been retagged as the Trillium line.  The line was closed in May of 2020 for a total rebuild to be completed in 2022.  My photo shows the platforms of the new station under construction.

The former CBC HQ is now called the Edward Drake Building and is home to the Communications Security Establishment.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/21 21:27 by moonliter.

Date: 03/01/21 10:05
Re: For feclark; 35 Years Later
Author: feclark

Love this shot; thanks, Gerry! Hmmm, what's different? How about the mix of trees has changed? How about the construction? How about no MLWs? See my post today for another shot in the area.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0389 seconds