Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN TEST Train at Barker, AB (Ardrossan)

Date: 05/15/21 22:41
CN TEST Train at Barker, AB (Ardrossan)
Author: feclark

Before posting this, I checked to see what else had been done on this train. I found Geoff Doane's post from February 23, 2018 at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,4495888,4495888#msg-4495888. He got sunlight and a slightly more impressive piece of motive power, but this will give you a clearer look at the consist. I had a 90-minute window on the east side of Sherwood Park and went out to Ardrossan on the Wainwright Sub; the TSG tells me it's no longer Ardrossan, but instead there's Barker, MP 250.4, just past what used to be west switch Ardrossan, 250.3. I found this consist standing immediately east of a private crossing.
1. Pride of the fleet 4791, built a bit over 47 years ago as 5591, leads the CN TEST train #999, waiting on #316. A few things to note are the air conditioning unit (I assume) on the cab roof, and the camera (?) on the top of the nose. I don't know if it's specific to this unit for service on this train, or more widespread in application.
2. First up is CN 414852, the DGRMS car (the Guide informs us this stands for Deployable Gauge Restraint Measurement System), functioning I know not how. I like the CN Engineering logo, and notice all the bristle skirting, like you see on rail grinders, but I don't know that this car does anything like that. Any information/explanation would be interesting.
3. Of greater aesthetic interest is car 1057, with more former identities than I care to reproduce; it's a 1959 National Steel Car product.

Date: 05/15/21 22:48
Re: CN TEST Train at Barker, AB (Ardrossan)
Author: feclark

4. I'm not sure who "Daphné" is or was, who is honoured in the current naming of this car.
5. There are a number of unusual-looking protrusions and attachments to this car, and a set of LEDs in a distinctive pattern, below the red marker lights. The trap door was up and handrails open, for a meeting of the minds while awaiting the arrival of #316.
6. That appeared at 1439 behind the GM duo of 8855 and 5664 with its bag of mixed freight. I was able to clear the crossing, but #999 beat me to the short trestle over Range Road 225, as I had several extra miles to go north to the Yellowhead and back south on 225. It was a nice prize on a wretched day, but at least I was out here anyway and would have had nothing else to kill the time.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds