Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Canadian Railroads > My CPR Slides 19

Date: 07/30/21 08:04
My CPR Slides 19
Author: CNStratford

April 29 1973-South Jct-Montreal PQ-Certainly the tracks are those of the CPR and later the D&H became part of the CPR - whatever, enjoy.

Date: 07/30/21 13:56
Re: My CPR Slides 19
Author: moonliter

I missed seeing D&H 302 (really Reading 2102) back in 1973 but did see her in Port Clinton, PA back in September of 2015.  She is being restored back to operational condition and had a fire lit in her firebox earlier this year. Hopefully we will be able to cross borders without problems in the near future and ride behind her in 2022.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 07/30/21 18:14
Re: My CPR Slides 19
Author: 4489

Considering the weather for that weekend this is a great shot.

I was standing at the west end of the Montreal West platform the day before waiting for the northbound run.  We could hear the T1 making lots of great noise and as the headlight became visible the train shuddered to a stop

They backed down and tried a few times but the combination of the weather, a HUGE train and the grade ended in a stall.  Luckily CP Rail had an RS-18 shadowing the train and the unit hooked up to the rear and pushed like mad.  As the T1 passed us the noise was deafening.  The RS-18 was pushing for all of it's worth.  But the train topped the grade and proceeded to Windsor Street Station.  

Stood in the wind and rain the next morning.  Due to the temperature much steam was visible, as this photo shows.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0295 seconds