Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Canadian Railroads > MLW Monday - Weathered RS-10s in CP Script

Date: 08/02/21 10:40
MLW Monday - Weathered RS-10s in CP Script
Author: feclark

For reasons other than TO I scanned these slides this past week. If you build a model RS-10 and paint it in the gorgeous Script Canadian Pacific scheme, you're not going to mess it up with heavy weathering effects. But I started shooting slides in 1976, so I had to shoot what was still running in that scheme.
1. I think this was the first Script unit I committed to K64. CP 8478 arrived at Ottawa's Walkley Yard in the middle of the consist of #85 on May 28, 1976. You'll notice the heavy weathering reveals CP's (yes, the builder's) method of applying this livery. Paint it yellow, mask the stripes, paint it grey, mask the grey band, apply the tuscan red. Mind you, the grey band in the middle seems to be holding up so well, so I may have this sequence wrong. The short hood has lost almost all its tuscan red paint, and much of its grey. As a note, you'll see the tail end of GP35 5021, one of a handful of GMD units in 5" stripes that got the low Multimark to clear the radiator grilles.
2. Four years later, July 9, 1980, CP 8576 was the trailing unit of a pair of RS-10s destined to be cut into the consist of VIA #2 upon its arrival at Calgary's station at the foot of the Palliser Hotel. Despite the passage of extra time, the paint is still pretty good, suggesting this one got repainted from the Block to Script scheme several years after 8478. I also have to note the different quality of lighting in the two shots. The red brake wheel adds a nice touch.
Fred

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/21 10:42 by feclark.

Date: 08/02/21 13:01
Re: MLW Monday - Weathered RS-10s in CP Script
Author: briancdn

Great roster shots, thanks for posting. I started shooting K64 about the same time as you, and managed a couple of RS-10 photos at Farnham, Quebec in similar conditions.
Brian N.

Date: 08/02/21 13:39
Re: MLW Monday - Weathered RS-10s in CP Script
Author: refarkas

Well done - Thanks for posting these two MLW RS-10's. That faded/missing paint in photo one would make a really uninspiring paintjob on a model.
Bob

Date: 08/02/21 13:41
Re: ML Monday - Weathered RS-10s in CAP Script
Author: moonliter

Learning by observation, very good.   I was lucky enough to see a car being painted for the NMST at CP Rail's Angus shops.  The yellow band was sprayed over the primer along the letter board, when this dried what would be best described as a reverse stencil was secured, lastly the maroon was applied.  After drying the stencil was removed and the yellow Canadian Pacific appeared.   So when you look at the car closely the letters are sunk in the maroon paint rather than on top of.  

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds