Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Canadian Railroads > VIA Trains on the Kingston Sub, September 17

Date: 10/08/21 09:40
VIA Trains on the Kingston Sub, September 17
Author: cn6218

I drove from Montreal to Toronto back on September 17, starting the day's photography at the Beaconsfield footbridge on the west end of Montreal island, Hanging Out at the Beaconsfield Footbridge (trainorders.com) .

Nearer the the end of the day I stopped at John Reay's old stomping ground for some more pictures, and my first image was a train I'd already seen that morning.  P42DC 918 was heading for Toronto from Ottawa with train 47 at 16:15, but the same equipment had been Montreal to Ottawa train 33 earlier that morning in Beaconsfield.  11 minutes later VIA 66 went east underneath the Newtonville Rd. overpass, but with an F40 on each end, only the red marker on 6405's coupler gives away the direction of travel.

I then moved west to the ancient wooden bridge over the CN tracks next to CP's Lovekin siding for this view at 17:36 of a rather overpowered train that I suspect was VIA 65.  CN 306 had the south track tied up a few miles west of here, and the RTC was trying to run a variety of VIA trains and CN locals around it before they got moving again.

GTD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/21 09:41 by cn6218.

Date: 10/08/21 09:49
Re: VIA Trains on the Kingston Sub, September 17

Also observed that afternoon from the bridge at Lovekin were what I think was VIA train 68, at 17:58, and local 516, hauled by GEVO 2343, at 18:11.

I didn't see any CP trains on their parallel track the whole time I was there.

With the light fading fast, I got back on the 401 and headed for Mississauga, hoping that I had missed the worst of the afternoon rush hour.

GTD

Date: 10/08/21 15:47
Author: gaspeamtrak

That was very interesting...:):):) Thank you for sharing it with us...:):):)

Date: 10/08/21 19:36
Author: newtonville150

cn6218 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also observed that afternoon from the bridge at
> Lovekin were what I think was VIA train 68, at
> 17:58, and local 516, hauled by GEVO 2343, at
> 18:1

Sweet light in your Lovekin shots. I'm told the CP grade crossing now
has barriers...that's new since I was last there

>
> I didn't see any CP trains on their parallel track
> the whole time I was there.
>

That's pretty typical these days.

..jr 

Date: 10/09/21 09:36

newtonville150 Wrote:

> >
> > I didn't see any CP trains on their parallel
> track
> > the whole time I was there.
> >
>
> That's pretty typical these days.
>

Yes, I was hoping for a trio of Big MLWs to come roaring around the curve of the CP track, but it didn't happen. :-)

There are indeed gates on the CP crossing now.  With there being two tracks, I'm surprised it wasn't done years ago.

GTD 

Date: 10/10/21 09:51
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.058 seconds