Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian - Coming And Going At Snider

Date: 10/11/21 13:40
The Canadian - Coming And Going At Snider
Author: Blackfoot

I went out to Snider yesterday, at the east side of CN's Mac Yard, on a mission to catch the westbound Canadian as it did it's reverse move from the Newmarket Sub to the York Sub.  Unfortunately I bumped the tripod while the Canadian was headed north over the York Sub, so I only got two of it's three moves.  The weather wasn't that great but since the Canadian is now a once a week train, and the weather is only getting more unpredictable with winter coming on, I decided to salvage what I got and put together this video.  The bonus is that I did manage to get two GO trains on the Newmarket Sub, along with a CN local that was taking the south connecting track onto the Newmarket Sub.

Happy Thanksgiving
Dwayne

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/21 13:50 by Blackfoot.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/11/21 14:26
Re: The Canadian - Coming And Going At Snider
Author: Train29

Healthy looking train for mid October considering no full menu dining service as of yet. But remember one train per week is covering the passenger load of what should be two (or would it still be three) for this time of year. Interesting no Chateau crew car ahead of the Park. And rare to have one of the ex UP bags up front. They typically had been used on a corridor train that connects with the Ocean with the car running through. 

Date: 10/11/21 16:13
Author: newtonville150

Neat video action!

..jr

Date: 10/11/21 20:41
Author: gaspeamtrak

Nice catch ! Thank you for sharing it with us...:):):)

Date: 10/11/21 21:02
Author: viatrainrider

That does it!!  I will be booking soon for late next winter for what may be my last VIA 1 -2 trips account age and heath!!  Wonder how many I have done since 1982 - perhaps 15 or more round trips.  Just a modest guess!  Every year in recent years until covid.  And even on the CP along Lake Superior and to Banff and Lake Louise!!

Thanks Dwayne for your good work!

Eliot
Ashland, WI

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/21 08:07 by viatrainrider.

Date: 10/12/21 08:59
Author: CNStratford

Very impressive video, but I am confused even though I've been to Snider years ago.
In the attached picture, have I marked with an X where you were standing?
Thanks.
Bob

Date: 10/12/21 13:58
Author: Blackfoot

CNStratford Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very impressive video, but I am confused even
> though I've been to Snider years ago.
> In the attached picture, have I marked with an X
> where you were standing?
> Thanks.
> Bob

Yes Bob, that's about exactly where I was standing.

Dwayne

Date: 10/13/21 13:34
Author: twropr

This move is completely new to me.  Is this train #1 OR #2?  Between what subdivisions is the train moving?  In the past was there a connecting track that would have enabled a straight move?
Thanks
Andy

Date: 10/13/21 14:38
Author: viatrainrider

Believe this to be train 1 which departs Toronto westbound before heading north per the orignnal posrt.

Date: 10/13/21 15:24
Author: ghCBNS

twropr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This move is completely new to me.  Is this train
> #1 OR #2?  Between what subdivisions is the train
> moving?  In the past was there a connecting track
> that would have enabled a straight move?
> Thanks
> Andy

I made the map below several years ago showing the Canadian's route through Toronto and it's essentially the same today. It's been doing this route for years.

Basically...the Canadian makes a big Loop through the City. Eastbound it comes down the Bala Sub to Union Station. Goes up the Newmarket Sub to Snider. Backs up to the York Sub then forward on the York to Doncaster where it regains the Bala Sub again to continue west.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds