Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Canadian Railroads > MK units on BC Rail ??

Date: 01/03/22 09:46
MK units on BC Rail ??
Author: hoggerdoug

Image I took at Prince George, summer 1981 of MK 5001.  I have forgotten if BC Rail had it  testing performance and fuel economy or whether just filling in on a locomotive shortage. Anyhow, if I recall this unit was a rebuild of a GP9, upgraded electrically and powered by a 6 cylinder Sulzer diesel motor and rated at 2,000 horsepower.

Another question from  another TO member regarding testing of Morrison Knudsen 5000 horsepower units on BC Rail, perhaps in the mid 1990's. I can't recall the 5000 horse power units testing on BC Rail, if so they were perhaps units MK built for the Utah Railway.

Any info greatly appreciated.
Doug

Date: 01/03/22 21:27
Re: MK units on BC Rail ??
Author: railsmith

hoggerdoug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Another question from  another TO member
> regarding testing of Morrison Knudsen 5000
> horsepower units on BC Rail, perhaps in the mid
> 1990's. I can't recall the 5000 horse power units
> testing on BC Rail, if so they were perhaps units
> MK built for the Utah Railway.

Two (of the six) MK5000C units built by Morrison-Knudsen were leased to BC Rail from late 1997 to May 1998. Numbers were MPEX 9902 and 9903. They had been built in August 1995.

MPEX 9903 arrived early in the fall of 1997 and went into service on the Pemberton pusher job. MPEX 9902 arrived on the property on November 23.

By the time of this lease, these units were orphans, as Morrison-Knudsen's locomotive business (MK Rail) had been spun off and its successor, MotivePower Industries, had no intention of building any more. All six units ended up on the Utah Railway as of 2001.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/22 21:49 by railsmith.

Date: 01/03/22 22:11
Author: GREENGROCER

There is a video on a popular video site called BCR parting shots. Near the start of the video, there is a southbound at Porteau Cove and later along the seawall at Ambleside with BCR 4614, 3603, 743, 4610 and MPEX 9903. As Railsmith mentioned they were used occasionaly on the Pemberton Push according to a friend of mine who worked that job. Cheers

Date: 01/03/22 22:43
Author: RogersPass

Hi Thanks for the reply. Do you have any Photos ay all please?? of these locos at work on the BC Rail?
Also, Many Thanks to you Doug.
Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Date: 01/05/22 09:32
Author: hoggerdoug

Thanks "railsmith" for the info.  I did not see these units during their short time on BC Rail.  I vaguely remember that they were there.
Doug

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds