Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Canadian Railroads > A Busy Day At Halifax Ocean Terminals

Date: 01/06/22 09:10
A Busy Day At Halifax Ocean Terminals
Author: cn6218

GP9RM 4129 and GP38-2 4721 were switching HOT on December 23, 2000 as an "extra" Ocean, 615, was leaving the station for Montreal.  The passenger train is on the old south track, formerly the eastward main line.  But by this time the ABS signals had been turned, and all trains were operating within yard limits (rule 105) until mile 1.4, the beginning of the HOT-ROCK connecting track.  December 23 was a Saturday that year, a normal day for 15 to operate, so I would speculate that the train was leaving early to accommodate all the double station stops on the way to Montreal.

GTD

Date: 01/06/22 12:44
Re: A Busy Day At Halifax Ocean Terminals
Author: refarkas

Well-composed scene.
Bob

Date: 01/06/22 16:21
Author: pwh

What does the white buildings and conveyor belts in the background handle?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/06/22 17:03
Author: cn6218

pwh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What does the white buildings and conveyor belts
> in the background handle?
>
They were built to handle grain.  The grain elevators are off to the left, just out of the frame.  The St. Lawrence Seaway and ice breaking in the Gulf of St. Lawrence killed most of the grain business in Halifax, and now wood pellets are stored in many of the silos.  I'm not sure if much of that is transloaded to ships, but if so, I would think they could be handled much the same as grain.  I have some pictures lined up for tomorrow that show the silos and galleries from a better angle.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds