Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Canadian Railroads > New Tank Hill BC Crossing

Date: 01/14/22 13:22
New Tank Hill BC Crossing
Author: funnelfan

With the old highway overpass undermined, CP built a shoo-fly around it that buried the old highway location so the overpass can be removed and replaced. Meanwhile a temporary new level crossing with crossing gates has been installed for the highway to also shoo-fly around the old overpass until it has been rebuilt. The BC Highway department posted a photo of that new crossing today.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/14/22 18:24
Re: New Tank Hill BC Crossing
Author: asheldrake

Ted....is this highway 1?   Arlen

Date: 01/14/22 19:17
Author: moonliter

asheldrake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ted....is this highway 1?   Arlen

Yes it is.  

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 01/14/22 20:02
Author: asheldrake

thanks Gerry.....should have done some research before asking a pretty dumb quesiton......Arlen

Date: 01/14/22 20:41
Author: BoostedFridge

Thank's for posting this.  There has been a LOT of earthwork done at this location to make this possible.

Date: 01/14/22 21:41
Author: spdaylight

Considering the extensive damage done on this highway and railline (as Ted mentioned) the highway used to cross under the tracks but after the flood, only the rail line  (rail and ties only) was suspended over the highway underpass which was totally washed out.
They worked 24/7 to restore this and the major Coquihalla highway (which just opened yesterday).  There were weeks after the flood on Nov. 16th  when they was no east west highway or rail traffic out of Vancouver at all.  Amazing job to re-open. albeit with shoo flies so soon.
Craig
mcmrailvideos.com

Date: 01/14/22 23:05
Author: CCMF

Is this a temporary solution until the bridge etc is restored ?

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 01/16/22 11:58
Author: TCnR

The photo of the bridge abutments sitting on the exposed pilings shows how precarious the geology of the area is. I would think the whole interesection was a carry over from the original right of way locations and then just built up from there. Moving the roadway to a better spot would be a great idea, something that traffic density would not allow until the ideas of the RR agreements and the opening of the Coquihalla Highway. I do remember this part of the old TC1 very well as my truck transmission gave out right at the bottom of the grade just past the old bridge.

Date: 01/18/22 10:31
Author: wyeth

So I'm guessing that the railroad bridge over the creek and former highway creek crossing is to the left in the photograph?

Date: 01/18/22 15:51
Author: TCnR

Looks like that, the big rock face didn't move but everything else did.
Here's the photo from a previous post where the Abutments are still recognizable, photo from the previous post, from The Globe:

wyeth Wrote:
> So I'm guessing that the railroad bridge over the
> creek and former highway creek crossing is to the
> left in the photograph?

Date: 01/18/22 19:10
Author: LKeithR

wyeth Wrote:
> So I'm guessing that the railroad bridge over the
> creek and former highway creek crossing is to the
> left in the photograph?

Yes, the gully that the water came down is just out of sight to the left of the big rock face.
The culvert under the road just couldn't handle the volume of water that came cascading
down...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/22 19:10 by LKeithR.

Date: 01/19/22 11:25
Author: wyeth

Thank you.  Wow, that is an incredible photo of the construction work!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds