Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Canadian Railroads > More 60 ft. Canadian Tire Containers

Date: 05/11/22 05:12
More 60 ft. Canadian Tire Containers
Author: cn6218

I commented a few months ago about seeing a 60 ft. container on train 120, 60 Foot Canadian Tire Container (trainorders.com)  Up until a few days ago I hadn't seen any more, but yesterday's Z120 and the train the day before both had 60 ft. Canadian Tire boxes, sitting on top of shorter containers near the front of the train.

Z120 on Monday was quite late (see newtonville150's post on that day), finally roaring through Windsor Jct. at 15:00.  That first Canadian Tire box is a 60 footer, sitting on top of an MSC 40 ft. box in a 40 ft. single well car.  Along with new LED signals at the east end of Kinsac(about 2 miles to the west from this location), the signal department is also working on new intermediate signals between  Kinsac and Windsor Jct., and will replace the almost new crossing gates and lights while they are at it.  The new signals are turned  while the work continues.

Yesterday's Z120 also had one 60 ft. box, this time riding on top of a 53 ft. Armour container, in a 53 ft. well car.  The train had arrived at Moirs Mills (mile 9, 2nd  picture) at 11:00, but was held out of Rockingham Yard at mile 7 until 12:19, when the yard crew had finally made enough room for them.  Monday's Q120 had arrived earlier that morning, plugging things up considerably, including cars parked on the main line past Rockingham again.

I haven't seen any of these on the road yet.  I suppose they would need a special chassis.  I also haven't seen any intermodal cars that would fit them yet.  I do remember seeing some spine cars afew years ago with TR reporting marks that were lettered for "57' or 2x 28' ".  I assume the 28' would be back to back pup trailers, but I don't think I've ever seen a 57 ft. trailer (or container).

GTD

Date: 05/11/22 06:04
Re: More 60 ft. Canadian Tire Containers
Author: mcdeo

I'm wondering how much longer before the US starts using these. States with double 40's, double 53's, triple 28's, these are shorter.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 05/11/22 13:36
Author: CR4124

Date: 05/11/22 17:52
Author: dxm332

The delay in full usage of 60 ft trailers and containers is likely due highway regulations not yet fully allowing them.

Here in Ontario, there was a test program allowing a very restricted number of 60 footers. Not sure if the rules have been changed to fully allow them or if they are still in the test phase.

Ontario is very conservative regarding changing truck safety rules. It took years to allow very limited operations of freeway doubles on some 400 series highways

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/22 17:53 by dxm332.

Date: 05/12/22 05:56
Author: robj

I'd think these are for special captive use maybe to certain plant or unloading facilities, ie not out in the general highway use?
Where there are docks, equipment and drivers.

Bob

Date: 05/14/22 17:06
Author: Nscaler

dxm332 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The delay in full usage of 60 ft trailers and
> containers is likely due highway regulations not
> yet fully allowing them.
>
> Here in Ontario, there was a test program
> allowing a very restricted number of 60 footers.
> Not sure if the rules have been changed to fully
> allow them or if they are still in the test phase.
>
>
> Ontario is very conservative regarding changing
> truck safety rules. It took years to allow very
> limited operations of freeway doubles on some 400
> series highways

I was curious about that myself...

Date: 05/15/22 12:20
Author: Train611

Hello,

On May 8th a couple of 60 ft. containers were seen eastbound on a CP "100 series" train passing through Kamloops BC.

Date: 05/15/22 15:46
Author: moonliter

So how, who, and where to these containers go when they arrive and the end of track?  Can't seem to find an answer for Ontario, or Quebec maybe someone from BC might have an answer.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 05/31/22 21:26
Author: ST214

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm wondering how much longer before the US starts
> using these. States with double 40's, double 53's,
> triple 28's, these are shorter.

.Hopefully, never. There are a few select fleets that are using them in semi captive service, but I can tell you there are a lot of places I have taken my 53 foot trailer that these would NEVER fit in. In fact, I have been to a lot of places my 53 foot trailer and sleeper cab barely fits, and by barely I mean the only way to get it in is to be literally a inch away from hitting something. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0676 seconds