Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Canadian Railroads > Train 505 on the Dartmouth Sub

Date: 06/08/22 10:22
Train 505 on the Dartmouth Sub
Author: cn6218

Today, 505 is the morning local in Dartmouth , NS, usually switching the Burnside Industrial Park, and then making a trip to Autoport if time permits in the early afternoon.

But 20 years ago, it was the overnight counterpart to 507 in Rockingham, often running transfers between there and Dartmouth. On June 8, 2002, GP9RM 7068 and GP38-2W 4776 had been out to Kinsac to pick up autoracks for Dartmouth that 148 had set off earlier that morning.  The two Geeps and their train are shown near mile 9 of the Dartmouth Sub.  The fresh gravel is from an oil spill remediation at Maritime Paper, just out of sight and up the bank on the right.  The company has rail service and I believe used to get Bunker C delivered in tank cars.

GTD

Date: 06/11/22 20:19
Re: Train 505 on the Dartmouth Sub
Author: feclark

Maybe I'm being a smart-ass, but my geological training tells me that gravel doesn't absorb a darn thing. Was this just to cover over the noxious black stuff?
Fred

Date: 06/12/22 09:55
Re: Train 505 on the Dartmouth Sub
Author: cn6218

No, I think what happened is they dug out the contaminated soil of both sides (and probably underneath) of the track, and then filled it back in with gravel.  At least it got rid of all the weeds for a while.  Although the oil would probably kill them all too.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.027 seconds