Home Open Account Help 322 users online

Canadian Railroads > From One End of New Brunswick to the Other

Date: 06/09/22 06:14
From One End of New Brunswick to the Other
Author: cn6218

This is a continuation of a post from a year ago that featured the combined Ocean/Chaleur in the Matapédia Valley, Daylight Ocean/Chaleur in the Matapédia Valley (trainorders.com).  The train was running late, which provided some photographic opportunities not only in Quebec, but also farther east on the old Intercolonial Railway line through New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.

In this series of photos from June 9, 2007, the Ocean, having left the Chaleur behind in Matapédia, is crossing the Restigouche River into New Brunswick, and and entering the Atlantic time zone.  The train was about 3 hours late at this point, so the bridge was well lit, even at the east end.  This was once the highway crossing between Quebec and New Brunswick.  The remains of the pavement can be seen in the foreground, and the bridge spans rested on the wide piers in the river.  It looks like it may have been only a single lane.  

Five and a half hours later, I was at the other end of the province to see 15, the westbound Ocean, crossing the Tantramar River, just east of Sackville, NB.  These two 250 ft. spans were built in the WW I era, with the intention of eventually double-tracking the main line, but it never happened.  CN installed CTC instead in 1944.

The two Oceans must have met at Evans, because the siding at Sackville was gone by this point.  I got another shot of 14 at the east end of Amherst 40 minutes later, with one of the remaining 3-head signals from that 1944 CTC installation.  I've looked at this location more recently, and with all the vegetation growth, I don't think this view is possible any longer.

GTD

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/22 09:13 by cn6218.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds