Home Open Account Help 184 users online

Canadian Railroads > Roomette # 5 Chateau sleeper

Date: 06/18/22 11:47
Roomette # 5 Chateau sleeper
Author: gaspeamtrak

I'm going from Winnipeg to Churchill this winter and have been given roomette # 5 .Just wondering is it a upper or lower room? 
I can't seem to remember???
Thanks...:):):)

Date: 06/18/22 17:51
Re: Roomette # 5 Chateau sleeper
Author: CPR_4000

A roomette is a roomette, no? Uppers and lowers are sections.

Date: 06/18/22 17:56
Author: BobB

Duplex roomettes are uppers and lowers.  I forget whether the Chateau or the Manor cars have the duplexes (it's a long time since I've ridden the Canadian), but as I remember there are only four roomettes in the car that doesn't have duplexes.  Thus I suspect that number 5 is a duplex, but I don't know if it's upper or lower.

Date: 06/18/22 19:58
Author: CPR_4000

Ah, like the Slumbercoaches?

Date: 06/18/22 20:15
Author: moonliter

Here is your room assignment. It is a lower.  I always book my tickets at the station, with an agent I know.  This helps if one does not like sit backwards, want a window seat or an upper roomette like #7 / 8.  

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/22 20:21 by moonliter.

Date: 06/18/22 21:37
Author: gaspeamtrak

Thank you ...The Chateau sleepers only  have Duplex roomettes the Manor cars don't.... This is what the Churchill train usually uses

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is your room assignment. It is a lower.  I
> always book my tickets at the station, with an
> agent I know.  This helps if one does not like
> sit backwards, want a window seat or an upper
> roomette like #7 / 8.  
>
> Gerry Gaugl
> Ottawa ON

Date: 06/19/22 11:07
Author: DavidP

Has VIA ever considered replacing sections in the Chateau cars with a couple of bedrooms?  That would seem to be the more in-demand type of accommodation, but I'm not sure what the mechanical implications would be.

Dave

Date: 06/19/22 19:30
Author: viatrainrider

Well from my many Churchill trips in Chateau cars, I can tell you that sections are well used.  There are folks who travel say, from Thompson to Churchill, one quick overnight.  I can tell you that sections are what they probably prefer for the short trip.

Date: 06/20/22 01:47
Author: railsmith

DavidP Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has VIA ever considered replacing sections in the
> Chateau cars with a couple of bedrooms?  That
> would seem to be the more in-demand type of
> accommodation, but I'm not sure what the
> mechanical implications would be.

The section numbered 1 in the diagram posted above has been converted to a shower.

Date: 06/20/22 06:38
Author: NPRocky

Great Northern did that with five of its 1951 Empire Builder River series sleepers.  They got two bedrooms into the area where the four sections were and one more into the area that had the section restrooms.  All three had enclosed restrooms.  Check Charles Rudisel's "Burlington Northern Passenger Cars" book, if you can still find one, for before and after diagrams.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0372 seconds