Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Canadian Railroads > Turbo Question?

Date: 06/21/22 08:40
Turbo Question?
Author: BoilingMan

Was this the only VIA Turbo with the CN logo on the nose?
SR

Date: 06/21/22 08:54
Re: Turbo Question?
Author: mcdeo

Not sure, but Jason over at RapidoTrains should know. Not sure if he watches these threads, but his user is: rapidotrains on TO. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/21/22 09:03

Oh, I expect Jason will see this at some point, but figured I might get other interesting responses as well if I posted the Q here.
SR

Date: 06/21/22 10:31
Author: kayakermark

From the recent announcements by Rapido I believe it is the only one and it is the one that broke the speed record. Otter Valley trains has indicated a special release of this version. 
Mark
Calgary

Date: 06/21/22 10:49

Yes, the OVR announcement is what prompted my question: was this the ONLY set with the CN logo?
I took these Turbo roll-by photos in ‘76 and the OVR offer set me to wondering if I’d lucked out and caught the record holder.
SR

Date: 06/21/22 12:16
Author: joemvcnj

They didn't like to use weed killer in Montreal. 

Date: 06/21/22 19:39
Author: feclark

It's hard as heck to tell, given the almost total illegibility of the numberboards on these things. So when you say is "this" the only Turbo etc., we can't tell what "this" one is. I can tell you that 129/154 (ran as a pair at opposite ends of the trainset) had the CN noodles in 1977, and 145 in the scrapline at Taschereau in 1985 did not. To add to the intrigue, I have photos of what's identified as 129/154 from 1978 and 1979 without the noodles.
Fred

Date: 06/21/22 19:45

Were the CN logos added for the Record Run?
SR

Date: 06/22/22 05:38
Author: DavidP

I don't know the answer to your question, but in general, most CN cab units painted in the VIA scheme wore a red nose logo.  Once VIA Rail Canada launched as a separate entity, the CN logos came off.

Dave

Date: 06/22/22 13:45
Author: cn6218

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's hard as heck to tell, given the almost total
> illegibility of the numberboards on these things.
> So when you say is "this" the only Turbo etc., we
> can't tell what "this" one is. I can tell you that
> 129/154 (ran as a pair at opposite ends of the
> trainset) had the CN noodles in 1977, and 145 in
> the scrapline at Taschereau in 1985 did not. To
> add to the intrigue, I have photos of what's
> identified as 129/154 from 1978 and 1979 without
> the noodles.
> Fred

More intrigue:  Coincidentally, I just received a photo of a yellow Turbo Train under the Toronto trainshed.  The number is readable at one end, 151, and it also has the red noodle on the front.  There's just the one photo, so no way to tell what the other end is like.  The date is shown as 1977-08-26.

GTD

Date: 06/23/22 21:40
Author: moonliter

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Were the CN logos added for the Record Run?

No the CN was not added because of the "record run" but was part of the new branding for CN's new passenger department.  The "record run" was apart of a media blitz introducing the new VIACN to Canadians. CN created VIACN in order to separated its money losing passengers services from its profitable freight business, keeping in mind that at the time the Canadian government was the sole shareholder of CN.  Just the year before the Canadian Transport Commission held hearings on of both CN's and CP Rail's applications to discontinue their transcontinental services.  Both railways wanted out of the passenger train business, creating VIACN was the first step towards this goal.

Now back to the "record run", this happened on April 22, 1976 between mile 104 and 84 CN Kingston sub operating as Passenger Extra 153 East.  The Turbo was painted in the new VIACN colours of yellow with blue VIA and a red CN on the nose. The new timetable(s) and other ephemera all carried the new VIACN branding.  In the later part of 1976 CN sent out a passenger display train consisting of a conventional equipment over its lines.  Newly refurbished and freshly painted in blue with a large VIA and two stripes in yellow.  Under the VIA was a small CN in white.  In 1977 however it seems that CN stopped adding the small white CN to the cars possibly because they knew that the passenger service burden would be taken from them in the near future.  As of April 1st, 1978 with a few exceptions, CN was out of the passenger train business and the CNs were removed. (CP Rail lasted until change of time, October 1978)

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 06/25/22 19:10
Author: feclark

Further to Gerry's reply, the new book by Kevin Holland (published by Rapido) on VIA has an undated photo of power car 153, on page 185, and it does show the red CN noodle.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds