Home Open Account Help 268 users online

Canadian Railroads > Questions, riding/chasing the Agawa Canyon Train, mid September?

Date: 08/03/22 11:20
Questions, riding/chasing the Agawa Canyon Train, mid September?
Author: randyr

Folks:

As a follow up to DJ-12's post below about the Agawa Train being back, I have some questions about the Train. Assuming we get our US Passports back in time and I can figure out the Canadian digital travel documents, we are planning on a mid-September visit. One day to ride the train, one day to try and chase the Train and check out Sault Ste. Marie. I realize mid September is probably not the best time to see the leaves, but my wife is a Nurse and scheduling time off is somewhat difficult. 
1) Is it possible to get some shots of the Train along the line and around Sault Ste. Marie?  My only experience with the line was stopping by in 2003, missed the Train, but saw some Algoma Central hoppers. And most recently running my HO Rapido version on the layout for the grandsons.
2) Is there any other rail action in the town or along the line?
3) Do they only use the former Rio Grande Ski Train cars? Or do they also use any of their older "standard cars"?
4) Sault Ste Marie looks pretty cool, anything of note that might interest my train tolerant wife?
5) August to October seems like a pretty short operating season. I hope they can maintain and be viable in the future. 

I have attached a couple photos of the Train in Denver, Colorado in July of 2007. I always wanted to ride this version of the Ski Train, but always figured I could do it "next year". A classic case of don't delay or wait.

Thanks in advance to all who reply

Randy in Phoenix, Arizona (USA)

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/22 16:35 by randyr.

Date: 08/04/22 07:50
Re: Questions, riding/chasing the Agawa Canyon Train, mid Septemb
Author: NormSchultze

It is possible to shoot the train on the line. I've done it.  But there aren't many places to do so.  Get a map, and choose your shots.   The train isn't slow, so you will have to be sure of what you are doing, chasewise.  At the canyon stop, the power will run around the cars.  Be ready. If you are right behind the power when they stop, you MAY be able to shoot one or two views before they uncouple.  Just before departure, the Tour of the Line train met they tour train when I was there. Timing was too tight to shoot both.   Dont be left behind in the canyon.  There is a power plant adjacent to the railroad, but I dont know how to get to it.now.  Google is your friend.  

The locks at the Corps of Engineers visitor center have great views of ships coming and going.   There was a tour boat when we were there that locked through. Don't know if it still exists.
Get the AAA guide for the area, call the Tourist Bureaus, and have a great time.

Date: 08/04/22 18:48
Author: cn6218

I was in the area five years ago, and we drove into Frater and got shots the the southbound freight and northbound Canyon train.

The road to Montreal Falls appeared to be gated and locked, so that iconic photo location was not an option.  Ontario Rt. 556 parallels the southern part of the line between Heyden and Searchmont, and there are a few possibilities there, including a high trestle with no railings to block the view, but the train was moving right along, so you'll have to pick locations wisely.

GTD

Date: 08/04/22 18:58
Author: TomG

The power will run around the cars? I thought they were doing push pull operation.

Date: 08/04/22 20:36
Author: PHall

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The power will run around the cars? I thought they
> were doing push pull operation.

There is no cab car. 

Date: 08/07/22 16:35
Author: DJ-12

Pictures that I have seen of the initial run looked like there was a locomotive on each end, hence the reference to push pull operation. One would assume the trains will get longer is the color season comes in and it remains to be seen how the power will be set up for that.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/11/22 09:53
Author: rrpreservation

I hope your journey goes well!! Good luck on it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds