Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Canadian Railroads > Grain or Seed car?

Date: 08/30/22 21:15
Grain or Seed car?
Author: edsaalig

I saw this car on a fright in Winnipeg.  Is it carring grain or the black seeds from the Canola plant which I think it shows as an illillustratrion on the side of the car?  Are the seeds transported to a mill to be extracted for the oil and then shipped in trank cars?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/22 21:15 by edsaalig.

Date: 08/31/22 07:54
Re: Grain or Seed car?
Author: kayakermark

I have seen hoppers with tags for various seeds, such as canola in addition to grains. It would be up to the shipper to determine whats in the car, grain or seeds, as long as it is hopper car friendly. Canola is an oil seed and a lot of canola seed is shipped globally, although a fair bit is turned into oil on the priaires. Saskatchewan is a major supplier of grains and seeds, and as an example supplies 80% of the world's mustard seed. If you have ever seen a canola field it is bright yellow, quite beautiful, especially if immediately adjacent to a field of blue flax (kinda like the Ukraine flag). The flower is the Western Red Lily, the provincial flower of Saskatchewan, and the colour on the hopper side is close.
Mark
Calgary

Date: 08/31/22 21:01
Author: LKeithR

Grain is grain, more or less.  I don't think many of the grain cars are dedicated to only one product.
They might be used multiple times for the same product but with proper cleaning could be used for
anything...

Keith Robertson
Langley, BC

Date: 09/01/22 08:30
Author: PHall

LKeithR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Grain is grain, more or less.  I don't think many
> of the grain cars are dedicated to only one
> product.
> They might be used multiple times for the same
> product but with proper cleaning could be used
> for
> anything...

Trust me, the farmers don't have seperate combines and trucks for each grain they grow. They do a through clean out between crops and get on with it.

Date: 09/05/22 12:44
Author: nhbatten

The flower depicted on the side of that hopper is the Western red lily, the provincial flower of Saskatchewan. These hoppers were originally built for the Saskatchewan Grain Car Corporation, hence the provinicial branding. The "MGLX" reporting marks indicate that the car is one of the many ex-Saskatchewan cylindrical hoppers now owned by Mobil Grain. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds