Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Canadian Railroads > Rocky Mountaineer T&E Crews

Date: 11/11/22 22:10
Rocky Mountaineer T&E Crews
Author: SCAXEngr

How are the Rocky Mountineer trains crewed?  Are the engineer and conductor from the CN and/or CP?  Are these jobs a regular assignment (bid) jobs or are they covered off the pool or extra (spare) board? 
Thanks in advance for the information.  

Date: 11/12/22 00:13
Re: Rocky Mountaineer T&E Crews
Author: railsmith

SCAXEngr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How are the Rocky Mountineer trains crewed?  Are
> the engineer and conductor from the CN and/or
> CP?  Are these jobs a regular assignment (bid)
> jobs or are they covered off the pool or extra
> (spare) board? 
> Thanks in advance for the information. 

At one time, CP and CN provided crews but that ended nine years ago in the case of CP and even earlier in CN's case. I believe the crews are hired by a third-party contractor, rather than directly by Rocky. Perhaps someone else can confirm that.

The arrangement is described in this post from 2013: https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,3043218,3043218#msg-3043218

The above refers to the routes from Vancouver to the Rockies via Kamloops. I believe the situation is different on the ex-BC Rail route (it certainly was when that started in 2006, with ex-BCR crews having rights to the work on their territory). I'm sure a certain TO member who posts regularly can clarify that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/22 00:44 by railsmith.

Date: 11/12/22 08:07
Author: hoggerdoug

On the BC Rail, the Rocky Mountaineer operated with a Conductor and Engineer in the cab, as per Collective Agreements, "all trains on BC Rail will be operated by BC Rail employees". The RMR was a "bid assignment". I operated the RMR three seasons, 2006 to 2008 before retiring. I would go onduty at Prince George, BC, wait for the arrival of the train from Jasper off the CN. My conductor and I would then take the train to Quesnel, spend the night there and then run to Whistler the next day. A night in Whistler and then run back to Quesnel, spend the night there and then short run the next day to Prince George BC Rail south yard and there would hand the train over to a CN crew for the trip east to Jasper. The CN crews at Prince George operating the RMR were from the freight pool. After we arrived at Prince George, we would go on days off and for the next trip of the RMR from Prince George to Whistler and return, another BC Rail crew on this assignment would do the trip.  At the time the RMR " Fraser Discovery" origninated and terminated at Whistler. The train now operates  North Vancouver to Jasper with overnight stay in Whistler and Quesnel. BC Rail crews still operate the train North Vancouver to Prince George.

On the other Rocky Mountaineer trains, I understand that there are two Locomotive Engineers in the cab, no Conductors involved. The Locomotive Engineers are supplied by a private contractor and most of the fellows are former CN Engineers.. The Kamloops to Banff segment has four Locomotive Engineers on board, and spell eachother off during the long trip. Former CP Rail Engineers are preferred on this route account heavy mountain grades they are familiar with.
Doug

Date: 11/12/22 08:25
Author: Chessie

Operating crews are handled by a company called CRC Rail Management.  My friend Henry is involved in hiring and oversight of crews.  Henry and I were talking this past week and I recall they have about 30 operating employees at present.  Needless to say due to the combination of passenger service and the territory operated they are highly selective as to their hires.  Doug is correct that most have extensive experience with heavy grade operations. 

Date: 11/12/22 17:21
Author: SCAXEngr

Thanks for the information.  Will be taking the RMR from Vancouver to Jasper next summer.  Previously had done the Banff-Vancouver trip in 2002 and enjoyed it.

SCAXEngr

Date: 11/12/22 22:14
Author: dan

the main RMR route is the old boys club, sweet gig if your a member!  old veterans from canadian mountain rring?  -- as described to me

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds