Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Canadian Railroads > CN stripes at the RBG

Date: 11/29/22 15:24
CN stripes at the RBG
Author: Guitartrain

In this much photographed view from the foot-bridge connecting Spring Gardens Road at the Royal Botannical Gardens, a duo of GP40-2LWs-9566 & 9427 are sandwiching SD40-5071 on an E/B freight. The train is coming off of the Dundas Sub onto the Oakville Sub. 9:52AM on 8-15-82 in Burlington, ON.

Date: 11/29/22 16:03
Re: CN stripes at the RBG
Author: King_Coal

Nice. That CN scheme really pops against the summer foliage. You caught just the right light.

Date: 11/29/22 16:05
Author: CCMF

Should be 390 wirh all those reefers for Ontario Food Terminal.

Bill Miller
Galt, ON

Date: 11/29/22 16:38
Author: lynnpowell

Were U.S. based refrigerator cars (not mechanical reefers) allowed in Canada?  I"m thinking that Canada didn't allow salt water draining from the U.S. cars (Canadian refrigerator cars had holding tanks under their floor to catch and store their draining salt water).

Date: 11/29/22 23:11
Author: refarkas

Great scene - What super memories this brings back.
Bob

Date: 11/30/22 13:20
Author: PHall

lynnpowell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Were U.S. based refrigerator cars (not mechanical
> reefers) allowed in Canada?  I"m thinking that
> Canada didn't allow salt water draining from the
> U.S. cars (Canadian refrigerator cars had holding
> tanks under their floor to catch and store their
> draining salt water).

Cars with produce usually didn't use salt, they didn't need temps that low. Frozen food needed the low temps though so they would probably use salt.

Date: 12/01/22 07:51
Author: cn6218

We used to see M-D-T ice reefers in Halifax during the summertime in the mid '70s.  I'm told they were for butter, imported from Ireland, so probably didn't need salt either.

They were also used around the same time on PEI for the potato harvest, but once again would not have needed salt.

GTD

Date: 12/02/22 19:57
Author: feclark

CCMF Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Should be 390 wirh all those reefers for Ontario
> Food Terminal.
>  

Bill, any chance you'd know the number for an EB perishables train I shot in the morning on the east side of Toronto, a handful of times in 1977/78? It was about the only CN freight that ran on the Kingston Sub out to Liverpool, rather than taking the north freight line on the York Sub. Thanks.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.04 seconds