Home Open Account Help 195 users online

Canadian Railroads > Upcoming Trip on the Canadian

Date: 01/20/23 19:16
Upcoming Trip on the Canadian
Author: Passfanatic

In a couple a weeks, a friend and I are going to be taking the VIA Rail Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. We are both very excited. We were supposed to do the trip last year but because of the intense covid restrictions, we cancelled last year's trip and are hoping for the best this year. I have some questions.
1. Which stations would we be able to get pictures of the engines leading our train(I'm taking the train starting with the nose of the locomotives)? I know that the platform at Jasper is very long.
2. Which iconic rr things should we look out for on our journey?
Thanks so much for the tips.

Date: 01/20/23 19:39
Re: Upcoming Trip on the Canadian
Author: DrawingroomA

At this time I will answer only question 1. At some stations where there is time to walk the platform an announcement will be made that CN wil not allow passengers to walk beyond the Park car or forward of the locomotives - and sometimes not even as far forward as the head end. It may be necessary to step off the platform, such as into a parking area or public road, to get photos. On some of my last several trips, at two stops - Kamloops North and Hornepayne - an announcement said CN would ban passengers from walking the platform if there were any people violating this rule.

I recall being able to view the entire train, depending on the direction,  at Capreol, Sioux Lookout, Melville, Saskatoon, Jasper and Kamloops. I found it difficult to photograph the locos at Edmonton. Winnipeg is difficult although a good view can be had of the front and rear from the parking area.  There could be some others that I have forgotten.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/23 12:41 by DrawingroomA.

Date: 01/20/23 20:09
Author: newtonville150

Capreol ON  and Sioux Lookout ON are both extended re-refueling stops.

Here are three shots from my August 2006 trip (taken at Capreol ON.)

...John Reay
Springhill NS

Date: 01/21/23 14:11

That's good to know about the announcement from CN. We should see what they do. I'm sure that the VIA rail crew will keep us informed about where to walk on the platforms and where not to. Something tells me at Jasper, there is a station parking lot right along the platform where I could use as a plan b to get pictures of the motive power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/23 14:13 by Passfanatic.

Date: 01/21/23 20:32

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's good to know about the announcement from
> CN. We should see what they do. I'm sure that the
> VIA rail crew will keep us informed about where to
> walk on the platforms and where not to. Something
> tells me at Jasper, there is a station parking lot
> right along the platform where I could use as a
> plan b to get pictures of the motive power.

Yes, there is a long parking lot on both sides of the Jasper station. Photos are easy to take. Until further notice there is a "buffer car" behind the Park car.

Date: 01/22/23 05:28

Yes, I am certainly aware of the buffer cars behind the very last dome car. As much as I'm not pleased that that will block the view of the tracks behind us, at the same time, safety comes first. I'm also looking forward to just observing the amazing scenery from the train, including from the Dome Car. I believe that in Vancouver, there might be a few dome cars parked on the platform tracks so I hope to get a quick picture or two of those after detraining. In these next four years, I plan to take a few of VIA Rail's long distance trains and hope to travel when the buffer cars are removed. Looking at pictures of Jasper Station, I see that there yes, there is a parking lot on both sides of the station building. I would love to be able to get pictures of the motive power in Toronto the morning that we depart.

Date: 01/22/23 13:26
Author: viatrainrider

Just so you know, at Jasper the train is closed shortly after arrival for servicing and window washing.  You cannot reboard until shortly before departure.  This would allow you plenty of time for photos from the parking lot and street and perhaps a walk downtown Jasper.

An upcoming trip on the Canadian always creates excitement.  I have a trip coming in March and am already excited and it is only January!  However,  it may be a sad time when the trip ends as it may be my last after at least 25 trips since 1969 account health, age, and the 500 or so miles I have to drive just to get to my start point at Winnipeg.

I know you will have a great trip on the train that in my view is the best train in north America!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/23 13:44 by viatrainrider.

Date: 01/22/23 15:30

Depending on how punctual VIA Rail Train # 1 is when my friend and I take it, we will probably walk into the Downtown area. If we have an early enough arrival into Jasper, we will deviate a little from the train. I saw that the sunlight in Jasper is later than most other places in North America. I saw that in the morning on a sunny day, the lighting would be an issue for the train but those sunrise shots will help.

Date: 01/23/23 06:13

Passfanatic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depending on how punctual VIA Rail Train # 1 is
> when my friend and I take it, we will probably
> walk into the Downtown area. If we have an early
> enough arrival into Jasper, we will deviate a
> little from the train. I saw that the sunlight in
> Jasper is later than most other places in North
> America. I saw that in the morning on a sunny day,
> the lighting would be an issue for the train but
> those sunrise shots will help.

Fortunately the station is in the heart of downtown. Except on my most recent trip (when it was unseasonably cold and I decided not to take my usual "constitutional") I have always enjoyed a long walk through the town. It can be a nuisance in winter if there is a delay in reboarding and the station fills with passengers who have had enough of the cold. On one winter trip several years ago there was an hour and a half delay in removing a deadhead coach and switching out one locomotive.  The station staff put out a table with hot beverages and Peak Frean biscuits. But delays are rare in my experience.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds