Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Canadian Railroads > TESTing, 1, 2, 3

Date: 01/23/23 13:11
TESTing, 1, 2, 3
Author: cn6218

On June 15, 2009 the CN Track Evaluation System train was on its way back to Moncton, NB after testing the Springhill, Bedford and Dartmouth Subs between there and Halifax.  Oddly enough, the train operated as number 900 in both directions.  More recently, these trains have run as 998 and 999.

On this particular day the crew made use of a loophole in the hours of service rules that permitted them to work a second shift as long as the first one was completed in less than 8 hours.  Apparently a relatively short break of only one or two hours was required before starting another.  The usual routine was to test the main line on the way down from Moncton, and then do all the sidings on the way back.

These days this has turned into a 2-day job, usually down one day and then back the next.  Even though the Autonomous TEST boxcars have seen more use lately, the conventional equipment still visits Halifax a few times a year.

GTD

Date: 01/23/23 15:02
Re: TESTing, 1, 2, 3
Author: 3rdswitch

Excellent shot. Canada must differ quite a bit from the US as here, twelve hours can only be exceeded if there is a minimum four hour break and total still can not exceed twelve on both sides of the four hour minimum break unless the break reaches eight hours, then the clock starts again at zero.
JB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/23 15:16 by 3rdswitch.

Date: 01/23/23 15:50
Author: refarkas

Superb photo.
Bob

Date: 01/23/23 19:58
Author: feclark

Tidy little train. My initial reaction was that 6000 was looking a little ratty, but then I checked the TSG and found it was 17 years since its remanufacture date. Wow. The single train number, based on the first leg of the train's journey, is not uncommon, I don't think.
Fred

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds