Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Canadian Railroads > "New and Improved" Via Preference is coming soon

Date: 01/24/23 13:17
"New and Improved" Via Preference is coming soon
Author: DrawingroomA

Members of the programme will have received the details so there is no point in me giving the details. But I have to laugh at the claim of "new and improved". While there are a few small improvements for the members it is obvious it is going to cost more - possibly a lot more - to take an award trip.

It seems to me that recently VIA has not been showing much appreciation to their loyal passengers. The Tuesday specials have been of minimal value lately. They have offered mostly 10% (15% the last two weeks) off the cheapest economy fares, known as Escape. These are the fares that sell out first. There have been no deals on Business Class. The VIA Preference offers of bonus points for Business Class  have been absent since October.  

The sleeper deals are still there, so it isn't all bad. The period before and after the Christmas season is usually slow. My observations are that it is the same as it usually is.  This would be a good time to encourage people to travel more.

Date: 01/24/23 16:54
Re: "New and Improved" Via Preference is coming soon
Author: MEKoch

Glad to see VIA is marketing their product.  How I wish the blockheads at Amtrak could do the same.  

Date: 01/24/23 19:33
Author: P

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Glad to see VIA is marketing their product.  How
> I wish the blockheads at Amtrak could do the
> same.  

They have been doing a good job of advertising on Facebook. Unfortunately, their product offering may be at an all time low right now.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/25/23 12:04
Author: newtonville150

If I read correctly the HST portion of the Preference fare is no longer included and must now be paid separately.

Date: 01/25/23 12:16
Author: viatrainrider

A lot of fine print reading.  Glad my upcoming trip on Canadian is booked on current Preference system!

Date: 01/25/23 16:14
Author: BigSkyBlue

In the airline world, a "new and improved" frequent flyer program is code for "get ready for a devaluation and cuts".  I hope that isn't true for VIA.  And maybe there will be improvements to balance cuts.    BSB

Date: 02/09/23 05:29
Author: DrawingroomA

I wrote to VIA Preference regarding the taxes to be paid on "free tickets." The reply suggested this may be temporary - from the launch date of March 25th until it is adjusted in coming months. There will be a temporary reduction of 30% in the number of points needed for an award trip. This was not indicated in the small print regarding the "new and improved" Preference.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0309 seconds