Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Canadian Railroads > INCO GE grabbing some juice.

Date: 01/28/23 12:50
INCO GE grabbing some juice.
Author: Guitartrain

International Nickel Company GE 100T, 600v electric-120 is switching some empties. It was built in August of 1953 and was bought new by INCO. This view from the Rt. 35, Elm Street overpass. 8:30AM on 5-21-98 in Copper Cliff, ON.

Date: 01/28/23 13:05
Re: INCO GE grabbing some juice.
Author: NiagaraMike

Very cool shot of a long gone electric operation.
All diesel operation now.

Date: 01/28/23 13:35
Author: feclark

A nice overview of a fascinating operation I was lucky to see. Set in pristine Northern Ontario wilderness - um, maybe not. Nice post.
Fred

Date: 01/28/23 15:18
Author: TCnR

There's a museum east of town in Capreol that has a few locomotives and cars as exhibits and retired eletric locomotives INCO 101 and 116, the latter being the same model as in the OP's photo. Was able to spend a few days chasing around the area, once out of the mine area it's another Candian town with lots of pleasant areas. Apparently the smelter had caused lots of trouble killing off vegatation, the taller smokestack and other mitigation has allowed lots of vegatation to grow back. The area to the south is known for cottages and Provincial Parks. There had been lots of mining and forestry activity in the area, not so much when I was there. Apparently the really busy RR days have passed though.

https://pbase.com/clivew/sudbury_day_trips

Date: 01/28/23 15:35
Author: moonliter

feclark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>. Set in pristine Northern Ontario
> wilderness - um, maybe not. Nice post.

It's looking more "pristine" in 1998 than it did in the sixties & seventies.  It's amazing how nature has fought back.  I always marveled at the fact when departing on CP Rail's westbound Canadian one would travel through the area where NASA tested the Apollo's Lunar Rover.  Other than the difference in gravity, NASA  figured Sudbury and the moon were pretty much the same. : )

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 01/28/23 19:19
Author: refarkas

A traction photo to treasure.
Bob

Date: 01/29/23 17:47
Author: NSDTK

i remember INCO offered those for free to anyone who could move them when they were retired

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds