Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Canadian Railroads > The Canadian extraordinarily early in Toronto

Date: 03/07/23 09:32
The Canadian extraordinarily early in Toronto
Author: DrawingroomA

Number 2, which some have called the Moonlighters train, arrived in Toronto today at 11:10, three hours and 19 minutes early. I'm not in  a position to say that is a record, but it is the earliest I have seen it arrive in Toronto.. 

Date: 03/07/23 11:10
Re: The Canadian extraordinarily early in Toronto
Author: stuporchief

I hope that doesn't happen when I ride in a few weeks! Three hours late? Fine. Three hours early? Horrors!

Date: 03/07/23 12:39
Author: DrawingroomA

stuporchief Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I hope that doesn't happen when I ride in a few
> weeks! Three hours late? Fine. Three hours early?
> Horrors!

Yes, one can feel cheated by not getting the promised time on board - especially eastbound when passengers are expected to detrain on arrival. Last year we arrived in Vancouver over four hours early, approximately 3:55 a.m., but no-one was asked to leave the train until after the dining car breakfast. We detrained at the promised time of 8:00.

Date: 03/07/23 14:03
Author: stuporchief

That's a classy train!

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> stuporchief Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I hope that doesn't happen when I ride in a few
> > weeks! Three hours late? Fine. Three hours
> early?
> > Horrors!
>
> Yes, one can feel cheated by not getting the
> promised time on board - especially eastbound when
> passengers are expected to detrain on arrival.
> Last year we arrived in Vancouver over four hours
> early, approximately 3:55 a.m., but no-one was
> asked to leave the train until after the dining
> car breakfast. We detrained at the promised time
> of 8:00.

Date: 03/07/23 14:29
Author: viatrainrider

Timekeeping has been pretty decent over the whole route of late.  It was not that many years ago when the train was always late, often way late EXCEPT for the Moonlighters.  So I cannot complain about current timekeeping even though I was often a more time on the train for the same dollars type.  However, arrival or departure from WPG at 03:00 AM or so not too much fun!

Date: 03/07/23 17:59
Author: railsmith

DrawingroomA Wrote:
> Number 2, which some have called the Moonlighters
> train, arrived in Toronto today at 11:10, three
> hours and 19 minutes early. I'm not in  a
> position to say that is a record, but it is the
> earliest I have seen it arrive in Toronto.. 

It had started 10 minutes late from Vancouver. Not a big deal in itself, but there had been only three other late departures from Vancouver going back to last July.

That soon compounded and No. 2 was 2h39m late at North Bend, the first CP division point east of Vancouver. From there, the train began to recover time, leaving Kamloops 1h31m late and Jasper 36m late, but slipped a bit to leave Edmonton 62m late. By Saskatoon it was only 4m late, and Winnipeg was reached 1h41m early, although departure was 14m late.

Performance through northern Ontario was good, with on-time departures from the three crew change points (and two very early arrivals at those, including 88 minutes ahead at Capreol). VIA is showing Toronto arrival as 11:07.

Date: 03/07/23 19:36
Author: WP17

In contrast to today's early arrival of the Canadian in Toronto, the eastbound train that departed Vancouver the Friday before the "Moonlighter's" train arrived in Toronto 3 hrs and 3 minutes late.  Interestingly it was 6 hours down at Sudbury Jct but obviously there is 3 hours of padding between there and Toronto.

I will be aboard #1 tomorrow with Moonlighters who have chosen to return to Vancouver. I would prefer some 6 to 8 hours of delay in arriving in Vancouver -- a mid afternoon arrival makes checking into your hotel that evening a lot more pleasant:-)

WP17

Date: 03/08/23 11:42
Author: Magritte55

Please explain the term "moonlighter" as a reference to the Canadian.

Thanks!

Date: 03/08/23 12:58
Author: Jimbo

Magritte55 Wrote:
> Please explain the term "moonlighter" as a
> reference to the Canadian.
>
> Thanks!

It's an informal group of mostly retired railroaders and friends (but some others) that has ridden the Canadian for a number of years in the winter.  The timing is around a full moon so viewing at night is good.

Date: 03/08/23 16:22
Author: Magritte55

Must be magnificent in the dome!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1143 seconds