Home Open Account Help 145 users online

European Railroad Discussion > "Each a Glimpse" has arrived!

Date: 11/21/12 12:07
"Each a Glimpse" has arrived!
Author: Focalplane

The reprint of the classic Colin T Gifford photo album arrived yesterday. I have to say it is overwhelming for an old age crisis nostalgic like me. I might even be one of the trainspotters in several of the photos!

So, after months of waiting it HAS arrived. There is something about steam in black and white that color simply doesn't get.

Date: 11/21/12 20:20
Re: "Each a Glimpse" has arrived!
Author: Steinzeit

Regular forum readers will have noticed that I am not much of a fan of CTG's "style" -- but in the interest of Fair Play, here's the review [ by AF, whoever that was ] of the original "Each.." as it appeared in the June 1970 "Modern Railways":
"Colin Gifford's first book, 'Decline of Steam', was a uniquely imaginative departure from the past few years' welter of railway photographic souvenirs. Here a perceptive eye for a photograph and an environment was at work, not just a technician in 'stopping' trains. Since he first started publishing his work Gifford has inspired several followers but created no peers. A hip packaging of psychedelic script on an otherwise overly sombre cover and introduction in reproduction handwriting leads one to fear gimmickry within, but the photography and subject-matter of the new collection is as brilliant, evocative, and expertly laid out as in the previous one. The half finished title.....makes one hopeful of yet more original Gifford artistry to come."
It was also published by Ian Allan; the selling price was 84s. [ Hmm, divisible by 21...]

[ Also reviewed, inter alia, in that issue was an English translation of the Schneider/Mase "Railway Accidents of Great Britain and Europe", though far less favourably -- and I find it enjoyable. To each his own ! ]

Best, SZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds