Home Open Account Help 266 users online

European Railroad Discussion > The Last Thump

Date: 02/08/15 10:46
The Last Thump
Author: 86235

During the long winter months I usually turn to the task of scanning my old slide collection. This year I've concentrated on my adventures in Ireland from 1975 to 2007 and 2004 at home.

2004 was notable for the final operation in and out of London of the venerable diesel electric multiple units (DEMU) which the Southern Region had built from the late 1950s through to the mid 1960s. Whilst other regions of BR preferred the diesel mechanical MU, of which many types were built, some more successful than others, the Southern preferred technology they were familiar with - electric. Unfortunately whilst technologically quite advanced the Southern Region drawing office was stuck in the Victorian era when it came to passenger car design. So although the new DEMUs were destined to serve the non-electrified lines of the South of England for 40 years, they offered little more comfort and no more amenities than the predecessor steam hauled stock of the pre-WW1 years.

Unlike the diesel mechanical MUs which used bus derived engines slung under the floor the DEMUs went for a much more 'locomotive' type solution. Half of one of the Driving Motor Brake Second (DMBS) cars was taken up by an engine compartment in which an English Electric four cylinder prime mover (4SRKT) powered an EE generator providing power to a pair of EE507 traction motors on the trailing bogie of the car - this helped in weight distribution. These engines were one of English Electric's most successful products, their reliability was rock solid, but the noise they made and the teeth loosening rattle they set up made travelling in the DMBS something of a trial for the unwary, and gave the units the nickname they were known by - Thumpers. Regular commuters got used to it, and it was quite an experience listening to the engine in full voice on a London bound train on the Uckfield line climbing through the 1.25 mile long Oxted Tunnel. It wasn't a high pitched whine that many modern diesels make, the 4SRKT was a medium speed engine, it was a delightful lower toned steady throbbing sound.

Of course towards the end they became adored by railfans - probably the same fans who rubbished them when they were introduced - but truth to tell a lengthy journey in a Thumper could be a wearisome experience.

By 2004 their appearances in London were restricted to rush hour trains too and from Uckfield in East Sussex, a journey of about 45 miles, of which the first 21 miles - to Hurst Green Junction - were electrified. Most trains from Uckfield terminated at Oxted (20 miles from London) where London bound passengers changed into the electric services from East Grinstead. The DEMU replacements, the Bombardier built 171 Turbostars, were introduced in 2004 and 2005. Today all Uckfield line trains are routed into London Bridge, ventilation arrangements at Victoria cannot accommodate the 171s. Off peak the service is hourly, at peak times half hourly.

So here are the Thumpers in their last months. there are two types - the class 205 and the class 207. By the end the 205s predominated although they were the older design. The 207s emerged in the mid 1960s to a slightly narrower profile specifically for the Croydon, Oxted and East Grinstead services, which formed a complex non-electrified network which was finally reduced to the Hurst Green to Uckfield line, all others having either been electrified or closed.

On April 16th the morning Uckfield to Victoria train arriving in Clapham Junction. As was always the case with the Southern the even numbered headcodes operated into Victoria whilst the odd numbered were London Bridge trains

Later in the day the evening London Bridge to Uckfield formed of a 207 with an intermediate trailer from a 4CEP EMU (slightly wider) passing Honor Oak Park on the climb to Forest Hill. This was thumping splendidly as it passed.

And here is the Last Thump, on May 21st the 18:02 Victoria to Uckfield pulling away from Clapham Junction for the very last time and formed of three units for the occasion, a two car 205 had been added to the normal 6 car, two unit formation.

A link to the new gallery, it's almost finished, I'm up to September
http://nick86235.smugmug.com/Trains/2015/2004/i-KZ6XvVZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/15 10:48 by 86235.

Date: 02/08/15 10:57
Re: The Last Thump
Author: cricketer8for9

Once or twice two coach units ended up at Victoria, which was designed, in platforms 18 and 19 only for 3 car units, ie ventilation griles at coaches 1,3,4 and 6. Fumes were pretty bad, which explains why the 171s are banned at present.

Date: 02/08/15 12:46
Author: 86235

With the extra unit that last run must have created a nice atmosphere at Victoria

Date: 02/08/15 14:22
Author: spflow

Thanks for these pics.

I recall that what became the class 207 units were originally known as Oxted units and were notable for a having supposedly "modern" front ends, made out of fibreglass, and incorporating "designer" recesses for jumper cables!

I remember having to work with people from British Rail Southern Region in the early 1970s; sadly, one could understand how these primordial trains were introduced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/15 14:25 by spflow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0588 seconds