Home Open Account Help 281 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Poland question

Date: 11/23/16 16:15
Poland question
Author: tevillo27

I am thinking of going to Poland for a couple days next summer. I would go there from Hamburg or Berlin. Can anyone give advice about railfanning opportunities in Poznan? A lot of intermodal traffic passes through there, and I would like to see some of those trains if public access is easy.  Thanks in advance.  

Date: 11/23/16 22:12
Re: Poland question
Author: dwatry

I was in Berlin recently and did a short day trip to Poland using the DB regional trains.  I caught a train around 10am from Berlin-Lichtenberg to Rzepin, which is a junction on the line to Poznan.  The Poznan/Warsaw express train was sold out, so the DB local was my only option.  I hung around the station in Rzepin for about 3 hours and then took a PKP local to Kostrzyn, and then a DB local back to Berlin from there.  Traffic was much lighter than I expected - saw 2 through express trains, 1 local passenger, and one freight in my 3 hours in Rzepin.    I posted photos from this trip on this TO board back in June - check 'em out.    Be aware - Poland is not part of the Euro zone, so you will need zlotys. 

Date: 11/24/16 02:04
Author: pennengineer

Not sure if you have any interest in steam, but Poznań is not far from Wolsztyn, where, after some uncertainty, there is a glimmer of hope that daily steam operations on regularly-scheduled passenger services will resume next year. See: http://www.thewolsztynexperience.org/news_events.php

Date: 11/24/16 05:20
Author: pramer

Look at hotels,etc. A real bargain! And as clean as Germany!

Paul Ramer
Cincinnati, OH

Date: 11/30/16 12:08
Author: andersonb109

Narrow gauge tourist steam at Znin. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.029 seconds