Home Open Account Help 139 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Liverpool Lime Street retaining wall collapse.

Date: 03/01/17 07:34
Liverpool Lime Street retaining wall collapse.
Author: newtonville150

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-39124787

Lucky it didn't happen when a train was on one of the affected tracks.

Date: 03/01/17 11:05
Re: Liverpool Lime Street retaining wall collapse.
Author: spflow

You really should get out more! (I'm only joking).

However, I do wonder whether the collapse occurred solely because of the freakish weather (let's attribute this to climate change) or if the post privatisation policy of neglecting old assets ( just look at all the overgrowth of buddleia etc in masonry up and down the country) has played any part. The wall would seem to be very old, over 150 years, yet there appears to be great readiness to blame a "third party". Who knows? but I guess "m'learned friends" are smacking their lips in anticipation.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/17 11:08 by spflow.

Date: 03/02/17 08:06
Author: SD70M

I was thinking myself how old that cutting looked, when I passed thru there last year on the GBRF15 Railtour

Date: 03/02/17 09:42
Author: eminence_grise

It is a really deep and impressive cutting, lined with steep masonary walls. Many photographs and even a painting or two have been published showing the cutting as seen from the station platforms.

Date: 03/02/17 18:00
Author: tq-07fan

My dad and I both thought that that wall was really high and really old. We wondered how long it would stay up with the plant life growing out of it. I only took these three pictures coming into Liverpool Lime Street that show the wall here in September 2013, I actually took more of the Launderette we went to in Liverpool (I'll post those only upon request).

Jim

Date: 03/03/17 02:09
Author: 86235

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My dad and I both thought that that wall was
> really high and really old.
>
> Jim

Liverpool Lime Street opened in 1836 which gives you an idea of how old at least part of the retaining wall could be.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0281 seconds