Home Open Account Help 271 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Berlin

Date: 05/09/17 07:23
Berlin
Author: mraia

Looking for a little help. I will be travelling to Berlin in June and I am looking for locations to do some rail-fanning. I am hoping to catch both freight and passenger. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Date: 05/09/17 08:19
Re: Berlin
Author: boiler77

Hi, I will place some ideas for you in the next time here.

Phil

Date: 05/09/17 10:09
Author: WP17

Make sure to visit the (relatively) new main Berlin Train station -- HauptBahnHof.

Lots of passenger action to photograph on the 6 tracks on the top level.
In addition the train station itself is just awesome. A visual pleasure as you walk through it.

WP17

Date: 05/09/17 11:53
Author: 3rdboxcar

The railway museum which is housed within the technical museum is well worth a visit.
The LOXX Miniature Worlds Berlin model railway also worth a visit, situated on the top floor of a shopping mall.

Alexander

Date: 05/10/17 03:02
Author: andersonb109

The Technical Museum includes two restored roundhouses from the Anhalter Bahnhof. The remains of the station's head house can be found just north of the museum. All that remains is the entrance way...saved at the last minute duing demolition. This is the station Hitler used to go to Bertschgarten.

Date: 05/10/17 08:13
Author: 55002

I would agree, a visit to the impressive Hauptbahnhof is a must, but alas no freight. I was there last year, and found the station that serves the old airport, Schonefeld, busy with freight. Can be reached by train from Berlin centre on the day ticket. chris uk.

Date: 05/10/17 11:34

55002 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and found the station that serves
> the old airport, Schonefeld,

Schoenefeld is still the Southern airport, the new Berlin Brandenburg airport may open in 2018, the station is wide open and ideal for photography.

3 images of Berlin Hauptbahnoff

Date: 05/10/17 11:47

The U bahn line 55 at Berlin Hauptbahnoff is worth a stroll along the platforms, it has images of all the old stations on the walls.
Note the wooden sleepers.
U55 only shuttles between Berlin Hbf and Brandenburger Tor with Bundestag as an intermediate station, it runs as a shuttle with no signalling since it is not connected at either end, they lower a 2 car unit into the tunnel and give it a daily service in situ when a higher maintenance exam is required they lift it out and pt another in.
Bandenburger Tor will eventually join up with Alexanderplatz, the current terminus of U5. but approx 2.5 mile has been plagued with problems, last I heard it is 2019 for schedule opening.
Sorry for blurry picture but wife had set of a right speed!

Date: 05/10/17 11:55

One of the technical museums stranger exhibits
Working model of Anhalter Bahnhof, compare it to andersonb109 pic above.
a U1 / U2 line A3L82 [I think] train approaching Gleisdreieck, taken from the balcony of the technical museum, that is the propeller of a full size Dakota suspended from the building.

Date: 05/10/17 11:57

Loxx_Miniatur [model railway] if possible visit before you leave, you can then see all the places you have been in model form.
The S Bahn and main line trains run through the central area above street level.

Date: 05/10/17 18:02
Author: Latebeans

The museum locomotive in the photo before the Anhalter Bahnhof model appears to be one of those very rare 0-2-0 designs. In Europe it would be a 0-1-0.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/10/17 18:37
Author: SOO6617

Most freight in the Berlin area uses the "Aussenring"(Outer Ring) to avoid passenger congestion nearer the City center. The Aussenring is beyond even most of the radial S-bahn lines except on the south and east sides of the city. The Schönefeld Airport station is one of the best locations to catch both passenger and freight as it is on the Aussenring and on a S-Bahn line. The main Intermodal Terminal at Grossbeeren is further west along the Aussenring. The humpyard serving the Berlin is at Seddin located south of Potsdam and outside the Aussenring towards Leipzig. Note the S-Bahn ring is located well inside the freight Aussenring.

Date: 05/18/17 08:49
Author: boiler77

boiler77 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi, I will place some ideas for you in the next
> time here.
>
> Phil
Another good location is Berlin Wannsee station in the southwestern suburbs. Reach it with S-Bahn ( S 1 or S 7) or Regionel Trains (RE 1 or RE 7) in less than a half hour from Hbf.
This time you will find lot of passanger trains and run through freights. Good location are the platforms.
From the nearby S-Bahn station Nikolassee You have another good view to the action.

On the "Aussenring" in the northeastern part of the City is the possibility to view the great freight action around the day from platforms of Hohenschönhausen station or from a street bridge at Gehrensee station. Both on line S 75.

#1 - Wannsee with S-Bahn
#2 - Wannsee with a freight

Phil

Phil

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0864 seconds