Home Open Account Help 302 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Swiss Rail Travel And Lodging

Date: 06/01/17 21:14
Swiss Rail Travel And Lodging
Author: fredstout

My wife and I are planning a trip to Switzerland this Fall. It will be a short trip (a week or so) with the intent of locating a place or places to rent for a month in the Fall of 2018. We are thinking that we would like a place to rent that is directly on a mainline. Several places throughout the country would give us a better opportunity to see Switzerland and to ride their trains. We are seeking suggestions on where to stay this Fall while we search for a place or places to rent in in the Fall of 2018.
We thank you in advance for your assistance.
Fred Stout
Goodyear, AZ USA

Date: 06/01/17 22:06
Re: Swiss Rail Travel And Lodging
Author: SOO6617

I would pick a general area that you are thinking about (Berner Oberland, Gotthard Masif, Valais, Lac du Genève etc) and then I could recommend a central mainline location for that area.

Date: 06/02/17 04:27
Author: birdman

Brig is an excellent choice. Day trips are possible to the following places: Zermatt, Stresa Italy on Lago Maggiore, Milano Italy, Interlaken, Grindelwald, Murren, Kleine Scheideg, Chamonix France, Kandersteg on the old Loetschberg route, Montreux, Aigle, and the Immosen dam and reservoir.

Date: 06/02/17 11:19
Author: mundo

Brig is my choice.

Date: 06/03/17 19:05

Gotthard Masif would be my first choice.

Date: 06/04/17 17:39
Author: SOO6617

The other alternative would be Olten, which is the hub of the Swiss Railway network.

Date: 06/04/17 20:37
Author: mundo

Olten would be handy for air service at Zurich.

Date: 06/05/17 04:29
Author: birdman

fredstout Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gotthard Masif would be my first choice.

Since the opening of the Gotthard Base Tunnel, relatively few trains a day now use the old scenic Gotthard route. It is still possible to ride over the route. I think there is a passenger train every two hours. My wife and I will be taking the 08:30 train from Arth-Goldau to Goeschenen on our way to Graubunden in September. But, the days when one could go to Goeschenen or Wassen and see 5 or 6 trains an hour are sadly gone.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/17 04:31 by birdman.

Date: 06/09/17 16:24
Author: palmland

I'll know better in a couple weeks but we're using Lucerne as our base. IInteresting town and an easy connection to all points - including Interlaken, Murren /Jungfrau and the lakes with their very cool steamers.

Date: 06/09/17 18:17
Author: symph1

palmland Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll know better in a couple weeks but we're using
> Lucerne as our base. IInteresting town and an easy
> connection to all points - including Interlaken,
> Murren /Jungfrau and the lakes with their very
> cool steamers.

Don't neglect the train up to Engelberg. It's only 48 minutes from Lucerne, runs every hour. It's a cog rr for part of the run.

Date: 06/11/17 14:25

I want to ride the old route and through the new tunnel. Thanks for this information

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1074 seconds