Home Open Account Help 324 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Recent Orient Express Trip

Date: 06/26/17 13:25
Recent Orient Express Trip
Author: andersonb109

Last week my friend Yana and her son traveled with me from Venice to Paris on the VSEO Belmond Orient Express. It was my second time on the train, having traveled the same route with my mom some 15 years ago. The train is pricey and beautiful but not without issues. In past years, the didn't run in Summer as there was no AC. Now the train is fully air conditioned however it only works off the locomotive when the train is in motion. Unfortunately, one of the two Italian Railway locos failed (Amtrak apparently isn't alone with this problem) and we sat in the 90 degree Italian heat not moving for 4 hours. The result was a sauna. However by dinner the train had cooled sufficiently to create an enjoyable experience. Paris arrival was only about 2.5 hours down given sufficient padding. The photos are self explanatory in order from Venice departure at Santa Lucia Station (where you arrive by boat) to Paris Est. If someone can correct the orientation of the vertical photos, that would be appreciated.

Date: 06/26/17 13:28
Re: Recent Orient Express Trip

More

Date: 06/26/17 13:30

3 more

Date: 06/26/17 13:33

Final 3

Date: 06/26/17 14:28
Author: krm152

Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for posting the pictures.
ALLEN

Date: 06/26/17 15:39
Author: cozephyr

Wonderful train - appreciate the interior images. Sorry to hear you baked under the Italian sun. Glad you mentioned European trains occasionally have their issues. I'll have to work on winning the lottery to experience that delightful trip.

Date: 06/26/17 22:26
Author: norm1153

Rotated.

Date: 06/27/17 06:06
Author: GettingShort

Great pictures looks like you had a good trip. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 06/27/17 19:56
Author: BobP

Neat!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds