Home Open Account Help 260 users online

European Railroad Discussion > An Odd Wheelset (at least to my eyes)

Date: 07/21/17 11:28
An Odd Wheelset (at least to my eyes)
Author: CimaScrambler

While visiting the Kent and East Sussex Railway in Tenterdon, U.K., with friends a week or so ago, we found this odd wheelset sitting in front of the adjacent museum. I have never before seen a wheelset with a wood web, especially one made as late as 1896. From a North American perspective, I suppose this goes to show how much more light weight many British railways were by comparison to American ones (Kent and East Sussex being classified "a light railway", I was told). I thought it was pretty interesting running across this - finding such differences across the world is one good reason to travel.
The manufacturer, Patent Shaft and Axletree Co, was one of the firms making railroad components in the West Midlands through the Industrial Revolution right up to 1980.

- Kit

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 07/21/17 15:01
Re: An Odd Wheelset (at least to my eyes)
Author: 86235

I think that's a Mansell wheel

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mansell_wheel

Date: 07/21/17 21:39
Author: CimaScrambler

Thanks for the link. Looks like you found the type alright. I was guessing the wood was likely used for noise reduction for passenger coaches but didn't know the details.

Kit Courter
Menefee, CA
LunarLight Photography

Date: 07/22/17 17:29
Author: illini73

CimaScrambler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From a North American perspective, I suppose this goes to show how much more light
> weight many British railways were by comparison to American ones

Suggest you read up on Allen's Patented Paper Wheels before going too far with this supposition.

Date: 07/24/17 05:55
Author: twin_star_rocket

I also was going to mention the USA's paper wheels. Pullman used them extensively, IIRC.
http://www.midcontinent.org/rollingstock/dictionary/paperwheels.htm

Brian Ehni

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds