Home Open Account Help 238 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Getting from Ostbanhof to Berlin Hbf

Date: 07/28/17 15:49
Getting from Ostbanhof to Berlin Hbf
Author: BenWight

I am arriving from Moscow on Talgo train 013M on 10 September @ 07:19 to the Ostbanhof station in Berlin, Germany. I am booked on ICE 279, departing at 08:30 from Berlin Hbf. How far a walk is it from the Talgo platform to the frequent trains that go to Berlin Hbf that take from 10 to 12 minutes duration? I am a slow walker, with a roller bag. Is this connection possible? How often is train 013M on time to Berlin? Is there a long walk to the platform once in Berlin Hbf to catch the ICE 279 train? I do not have a platform number for either train. Thanks.

Date: 07/28/17 19:36
Re: Getting from Ostbanhof to Berlin Hbf
Author: mundo

Both the U-Bahn and S Bahn serve both station.  S-bahn makes  fewer stops  then the U-Bahn.  5th stop from Ostbahnof.  5 km. very frequient service this time of morning.
Regional service should also serve both stations, but not very frequient service.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/17 20:09 by mundo.

Date: 07/28/17 20:55

Thanks Mundo. What I need to know is how long of a walk is it from the train platform that I arrive to the platform of the train that will take me to Berlin Hbf. Has anyone done this transfer? Do I have enough time to make my connection to Paris?

Date: 07/28/17 22:13

Station to station shows 5 km.  Have no idea of platform to platform, but would assume you would need to go to the station entrance/exits,   not down the right of way.

Luggage?

Date: 07/29/17 01:34
Author: norm1153

Sounds like you might want to take a taxi -- peace of mind and no problem covering 5 km (3.1 miles).

Date: 07/29/17 01:37
Author: SOO6617

BenWight Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am arriving from Moscow on Talgo train 013M on
> 10 September @ 07:19 to the Ostbanhof station in
> Berlin, Germany. I am booked on ICE 279,
> departing at 08:30 from Berlin Hbf. How far a
> walk is it from the Talgo platform to the frequent
> trains that go to Berlin Hbf that take from 10 to
> 12 minutes duration? I am a slow walker, with a
> roller bag. Is this connection possible? How
> often is train 013M on time to Berlin? Is there
> a long walk to the platform once in Berlin Hbf to
> catch the ICE 279 train? I do not have a platform
> number for either train. Thanks.

I suggest that you use the SBB Travel planner, in English, and input the departure date, with a via Berlin Ostbahnhof, to Berlin Hbf. Then scroll down the list of trains to find the train you will be taking from Moskva, it should recommend a connecting train from the Ostbahnhof to the Hauptbahnhof. It should also list the scheduled platform numbers for your arrival and departure at the Ostbahnhof. I find the SBB travel planner more user friendly for English users.

There is a diagram of the Ostbahnhof here; http://www.bahnhof.de/bahnhof-de/Berlin_Ostbahnhof.html

Date: 07/29/17 02:07
Author: norm1153

SOO6617 has a better solution! Sounds good.

Date: 07/29/17 03:19
Author: andersonb109

Ostbahnhof isn't very large. So it should only take a few minutes to make the connection. But be aware, stairs are often the only method of getting from one platform to another in many European stations. Not sure if that's the case at Ostbahnhof. Also be aware that unlike daytime services, overnight trains can often run late. In your case, the boarder check coming from Russia could potentially result in delays. If for some reason you miss your connection, you should be able to use your ticket for a later departure. Just get on the next train and explain to the Conductor what happened. They won't kick you off but you might have to pay an additional charge. ICE Trains do not require seat reservations.

Date: 07/29/17 05:24
Author: pennengineer

DB employee here. You won't have any problem at all. Berlin Ostbahnhof is a through station with island platforms, meaning that there are multiple points of access to each platform. As shown on the diagram in the link posted by SOO6617, every platform has both escalators and elevators. The current operational status of all of DB's escalators and elevators can be found at http://www.aufzugswaechter.org/ (unfortunately, the site does not have a search function, so you have to zoom in and "hunt and peck" to find Berlin Ostbahnhof). A green pin means the particular escalator or elevator is working.

The most time anyone could possibly need (even one who moves a bit more slowly) from one track to another is 10 minutes -- and that's being generous.

Departures from Ostbahnhof to Hauptbahnhof are extremely frequent. Between the S-Bahn (commuter) and regional trains serving the two points you have a departure every 5 minutes or so.

The Moscow - Berlin train is fairly reliable, even by night train standards. I would not worry at all in your position.

I recommend you download and install the DB Navigator app, which is available in English in both the Apple App Store or Google Play for Android. In addition to having the most complete and accurate information (include the tracks on which trains depart and arrive), it also shows things like the arrangement of train cars in any given ICE (helpful for figuring out where to stand and wait on the platform).

And, if you are not merely slow but legitimately mobility impaired, assistance can be requested from station personnel in advance of your trip. Let me know if you need help arranging this and I will point you in the right direction.

Date: 07/29/17 09:23
Author: 3rdboxcar

Hi

Transfer from arrival platform to the S Bahn platforms 5 mins max with a case. [all platforms are on the same level so it will be down an escalator then up and escalator or lift], you may find a cross platform transfer on to a regional train.
Assume you miss an S Bahn train 5 minute max wait till next.
journey time 10 minutes, [4 intermediate stops]. The route runs through Berlin on an elevated line.
Transfer from S bahn to departure platform 8 minute max with a case. [S bahn arrives on the upper level, East - West platforms] [ICE to Paris leaves from the lower level, North - South platforms].

So at the very most giving time due to unfamiliar surroundings 30 minutes. That gives you 30 minutes to admire Berlin Hauptbahnof.

Alexander

Date: 07/29/17 09:50

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I feel fortunate to have access to such a good knowledge base here. Thanks to all for taking the time to help me and my wife have a successful trip from Beijing to Paris!

Date: 08/03/17 16:51
Author: DevalDragon

norm1153 Wrote:
> Sounds like you might want to take a taxi -- peace
> of mind and no problem covering 5 km (3.1 miles).

A taxi in a big city in Germany? That is almost illogical, except for 2 in the morning when nothing is running.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/09/17 10:38
Author: ProRail

3rdboxcar Wrote:
> Hi
>
> Transfer from arrival platform to the S Bahn
> platforms 5 mins max with a case. , you may find a
> cross platform transfer on to a regional train.
> Assume you miss an S Bahn train 5 minute max wait
> till next.
> journey time 10 minutes, [4 intermediate stops].
> The route runs through Berlin on an elevated
> line.
> Transfer from S bahn to departure platform 8
> minute max with a case. .
>
> So at the very most giving time due to unfamiliar
> surroundings 30 minutes. That gives you 30 minutes
> to admire Berlin Hauptbahnof.
>
> Alexander

I may be wrong, but I don't think you need to worry about a fare on the S bahn if you are just transferring between RR stations. Too bad you don't have more time to appreciate the Berlin Hbf. It's spectacular.

Date: 08/09/17 11:25

OK, need ideas for a budget hotel nearby the Hbf Berlin.  Would be staying several days in 2018.  No youth Hostels.

Date: 08/09/17 11:30
Author: train1275

I stayed in the Mercure Hotel on Invalidstrasse. A short easy (about 10 minute) walk from the Hbf.
Don't remember the rate but it was not expensive. Maybe equivalent of $100.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/17 11:30 by train1275.

Date: 08/10/17 11:33
Author: symph1

mundo Wrote:
> OK, need ideas for a budget hotel nearby the Hbf
> Berlin.  Would be staying several days in 2018. 
> No youth Hostels.

Hostels in Europe are not youth hostels, just hostels. My wife and I used them a lot on our last trip, and we're both in our 60s. We chose ones with private rooms, and never had any problems. Bathrooms will be down the hall almost everywhere, though.

Date: 08/16/17 16:30
Author: reindeerflame

mundo Wrote:
> OK, need ideas for a budget hotel nearby the Hbf
> Berlin.  Would be staying several days in 2018. 
> No youth Hostels.

This is the time to "live it up" and stay the Adlon Hotel at the Brandenburg Gate.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.096 seconds