Home Open Account Help 280 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Trip to Italy, Part 1: Milan, Streetcar (Tram) Heaven

Date: 10/15/17 16:09
Trip to Italy, Part 1: Milan, Streetcar (Tram) Heaven
Author: casco17

In September my wife and I traveled to Italy for vacation. First stop: Milan. I had a recent map that showed traction and subway lines. It turns out there are *way more* traction lines than were shown on the map. These pics were taken in the city center region, near Porta Garibaldi station, the Duomo city center, and other built up areas.

There is a wide mix of modern and heritage equipment, though line 33 appeared to be "all heritage" equipment. Service was frequent and well patronized, and plenty of switches and diamonds for those who enjoy the clank of steel wheels on steel rails.

Some intersections had traffic signals for the trams; in others the trams had to 'fight for the right of way' with vehicles and pedestrians.

more...

Date: 10/15/17 16:14
Re: Trip to Italy, Part 1: Milan, Streetcar (Tram) Heaven

Some stops had electronic signboards that showed when the next tram would arrive; others had posted paper schedules. A day pass was 4.50 Euros per person.
The trams were run much like buses; there was no 'minimum following distance' when trams from different routes followed each other on common trackage.

More...

Date: 10/15/17 16:17
Re: Trip to Italy, Part 1: Milan, Streetcar (Tram) Heaven

While we rode the Metropolitane (Subway) too; I did not get any pictures of it. I was not hassled for taking pictures of the trams.
This final batch includes a contractor sign from one of the Subway routes currently under construction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds