Home Open Account Help 341 users online

European Railroad Discussion > Germany: Steam Specials at Rügenschen BäderBahn

Date: 10/29/17 10:08
Germany: Steam Specials at Rügenschen BäderBahn
Author: Milepost_130

On October 27 - 29, 2017, Thomas Boßdorf and friends arranged three days of special steam-powered trains at "Rügenschen BäderBahn" (Rügen Resort Railway), "Insel Rügen" (Rügen Island), Germany.

Constructed in the last years of the 19th century, Rügenschen BäderBahn operates the remnants of a once larger 750 mm narrow gauge system. Steam-powered trains operate daily between Putbus and Göhren, a distance of 24 kilometers / 15 miles. Locomotives operate bunker-first from Putbus to Göhren, chimney-first from Göhren to Putbus. The primary locomotive shed is located in Putbus.

Much of Rügen Island, particularly its coastal areas, are resorts. Most villages are populated with small resort hotels and restaurants. Göhren, particularly, is quite touristic.

Unfortunately, for our charter, the weather did not cooperate. The first two days, as well as much of the third day, featured heavy overcast skies, intermittent rain and gusty winds. Nevertheless, the special trains were well-organized, featuring rolling stock lettered with the former Deutsche Reichsbahn logos and numbers. Several images are attached. For the image of DR 99 4802-7 at Seelvitz, the DSLR's ISO was set at 3200!

DR 99 4802-7, 2-8-0T (Henschel / Kassel 24368 / 1938)
DR 99 4633-6, 0-8-0T (Vulcan / Stettin 2896 / 1925)

Rügenschen BäderBahn: http://ruegensche-baederbahn.de/home.html

Date: 10/29/17 18:16
Re: Germany: Steam Specials at Rügenschen BäderBahn
Author: andersonb109

Given the crappy weather, you did well. I wanted to book on to this event but it was fully booked before I could commit. Another German group is doing both Rugen and the nearby Molly in March. Perhaps with better weather.

Date: 10/31/17 09:24
Re: Germany: Steam Specials at Rügenschen BäderBahn
Author: Bob3985

During my visit to Das Vaterland I got to ride the Molli. I will have to dig out the photos and scan them.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0335 seconds