Home Open Account Help 211 users online

European Railroad Discussion > January in South Wales and the Marches

Date: 02/04/18 02:25
January in South Wales and the Marches
Author: 86235

January has been slightly wetter than average in this part of the world, but also slightly sunnier too unlike other parts of North Western and eastern Europe which have endured their dullest winter for many decades. But it has also been cold, no snow to speak of but predominantly north westerly winds from the arctic regions which has meant a very significant wind chill on occasions. Still winter is a good time to get out and about, even though light is somewhat restricted.

1: January 3rd was bright after the passage of Storm Eleanor, which really battered the Irish Republic the day before. It was still pretty windy but I wanted to explore some new locations on the line which runs alongside the River Severn, between Gloucester and Newport. This was taken between Bullo Pill and Awre, it's the daily Daventry to Cardiff Wentloog intermodal, known as the Tesco Express as it carries goods for the eponymous supermarket chain.

2: On January 4th an STP (short term plan) schedule appeared in Realtimetrains for later that day, a light engine (LE) from Cardiff to Washwood Heath (outside Birmingham). Don't normally go for LEs but one of the online applications confirmed it was veteran 56105 so I thought, what the hell. Here it is passing the Abergavenny to Pontrilas Intermediate Block Signal (IBS) repeater at the top of Llanvihangel bank.

3: A week later, on January 10th, I drove north along the Marches Line to the block post at Woofferton, on the Herefordshire / Shropshire border. January is expected to be the last month that coal would be moved from Portbury Dock near Bristol to Fiddlers Ferry power station near Liverpool. the loaded trains run at night but the empties - 4V20 and 4V22 - are scheduled down the Marches Line in daylight hours (12:46 & 15:08 through Abergavenny respectively). On the 10th only one loaded train, and consequently one empty ran. Here's 4V22 passing Woofferton's fine collection of semaphores. Normally 4V22 recesses at Hereford for 45 minutes, I planned to follow it and get ahead for another picture. But no such luck, today it recessed (for some reason or other) further up the line at Craven Arms, passing Woofferton 31 late, failed to stop in Hereford, running 20 early for the rest of the journey to East Usk Yard :-(

Date: 02/04/18 02:35
Re: January in South Wales and the Marches

4: I drove back from Woofferton, stopping for the 6M86, the daily loaded steel from South Wales (Margam & Llanwern) to North Wales (Dee Marsh Yard for Shotton steelworks) between Pontrilas and Tram Inn. Mist was rising over the Black Mountains.

5: On Monday 15th I paid my first visit of the year to the Taf Bargoed Valley and the line to the coal washery at Cwmbargoed, this is the 4V01, empty coal hoppers from Earles Sidings (for the Hope cement works) in England's Peak District to Cwmbargoed, it's passing the site of Bedlinog station.

6: From Bedlinog I drove south through the old industrial valleys to Magor on the South Wales mainline between Severn Tunnel Junction and Newport, this is the shape of things to come, one of the new generation of bi-mode Intercity Express Trains (IET) assembled by Hitachi in North East England and due to replace the HSTs. Working off the 25kV they are astoundingly fast, in diesel mode they are astoundingly sluggish. At present the energised catenary extends from London to Didcot (50 miles) but by the end of this year (supposedly) electrification will reach Cardiff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/18 11:11 by 86235.

Date: 02/04/18 02:52

7: I hung around Magor because I knew that a 6B22 Avonmouth to Aberthaw power station was due, and it appeared in full sun!!! Like Freightliner's Fiddlers Ferry flows these Colas operated coal trains will soon cease as Aberthaw is relegated to reserve status once the worst of winter is over.

8: January 16th, the following day the first of the Fiddlers Ferry to East Usk empties, 4V20, passing Ponthir on the outskirts of Newport, near journey's end.

9: On January 17th another STP schedule popped up for a Crewe to Eastleigh (which is in Southern England on the 750v DC network) light engine movement. What could that possibly be? It was to be worked by Colas so I expected, maybe, a 37 or pair of 37s but, no, this is what turned up, a pair of GBRf class 73/9s, the original Southern Region electro-diesel. These are two of the rebuilds, which are true bi-modes developing roughly 1600 hp from both their diesel (an MTU unit) and the third rail. Why were they in alien territory, and apparently worked by Colas? I learned they were swapping motive power for the Network Rail test trains which are operated by Colas. 67027 & 67023 were returning from duties based at Eastleigh whilst the two 73s were going in the opposite direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/18 11:13 by 86235.

Date: 02/04/18 03:03

10: On January 18th I left my Welsh class, checked Realtimetrains to find that 6M86, the steel train, was 90 minutes late. Hooray. Quick drive through Abergavenny and out to Penpergwm and here it is, at full power on 22 loaded hooded steel carriers

11: From Penpergwm I drove homewards, stopping at the top of Llanvihangel bank where I got a second shot of 6M86, down to walking pace, and 11 minutes later this empty stone working, 4B35, from Acton yard in West London to Moreton on Lugg, the other side of Hereford.

12: Friday 19th was a very pleasant day, presaging a weekend of almost constant rain! I had to wait in for the dishwasher technician to arrive but managed to get out for the second of the two coal empties to East Usk, 4V22. It's passing Pandy and the footpath crossing where the Offa's Dyke long distance footpath crosses the Marches Line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/18 07:26 by 86235.

Date: 02/04/18 03:09

13 & 14: The morning of January 23rd was unremittingly gloomy, but I had to go down to Abergavenny and timed my visit to catch the 4V20 which, astonishingly passed Penpergwm in full sun, this never happens to me!!! The coal hoppers snake pass the old station house.

15: I didn't give up and later found this location overlooking Abergavenny station, the train is another bound for the stone loading siding at Moreton on Lugg.

Date: 02/04/18 03:15

16, 17 & 18: On January 24th after a very stormy night we were promised a slow improvement as the low pressure area which had brought the storm moved off into the North Sea to annoy the Danes. This time I caught a train from Abergavenny to, firstly, Ludlow, for the 4V20, and returning to Leominster, for 4V22, before catching the next train home to Abergavenny, in the process overtaking 4V22 sitting on the middle road in Hereford station as booked, and getting another shot of it in somewhat wet conditions approaching Abergavenny

Date: 02/04/18 03:17

19: On Friday January 26th Network Rail ran one of their HST test trains down the Marches Line from Crewe, it usually runs once a month, recessing in Newport before returning via Crewe to their Derby base. Here it is passing Llanvihangel

20: Later that morning 4V20 hurries down Llanvihangel bank towards Abergavenny station near Llantilio Pertholey

21: And here's the second of the coal empties, 4V22, approaching Pandy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/18 03:21 by 86235.

Date: 02/04/18 03:28

22: January 29th and I'm back down by the River Severn to finish the month, 4V44 Tesco Express approaching Chepstow on the English side of the River Wye

23: At Magor empty steel coil carriers form the 6V92 from Corby in the East Midlands to Margam Yard

24: And finally a sight that the sun will soon be setting on in South Wales, a venerable HST speeding westwards forming the 14:15 Paddington to Cardiff.

Date: 02/04/18 14:13
Author: GPutz

Thanks, Nick. Gerry

Date: 02/04/18 16:45
Author: krm152

Great photo series. Excellent composition.
Especially enjoy the Class 66 action.
Thanks for posting your photos.
ALLEN

Date: 02/04/18 21:04
Author: gaspeamtrak

Really nice pictures! Thank you for sharing !!! :):):)

Date: 02/05/18 05:29
Author: tq-07fan

Everything is good but I like the two light engine moves best.

Jim

Date: 02/05/18 17:48
Author: Northern

Great photos on a very manicured track structure. The semaphore signals are great to see in mainline action!

Date: 02/06/18 03:28

Thanks, glad you like them.

tq-07fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Everything is good but I like the two light engine
> moves best.
>
> Jim

The 73s in particular, plenty of chatter whether this was a first outing of 73s on the Marches Line. Made my day!

Date: 02/06/18 20:32
Author: dwatry

Excellent photos as usual!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.123 seconds